Warrior Pinup

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Warrior Pinup

I've recently started using my tablet more and more, and although i feel i have a good grasp of drawing (Using PS CS5) i always run into anatomy issues due to my lack of practice with tablets, and figure drawing, especially when drawing whole bodies and female faces.

so...

This is a piece I've been working on the past few days as practice, and have been editing and re editing things quite a few times. Its at a point where i'm quite happy with it, but i know it can still use a lot of work, I'm hoping someone with much more practice could guide me a little; so of course, CC is welcome.

This is the latest image:

and now i'll put the progress in sequential order up to that point:

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by QuaziG : 09 September 2012 at 08:57 PM.

09 September 2012
I'm assuming you are using references, and if so, please post the reference images so we can help you troubleshoot where things went wrong.

09 September 2012
I quite like the face, it has almost a Toulouse-Lautrec feel to it, or similar to the French poster artists of that period.

I suspect from your drawings, you either don't have a source for this. The pose feels awkward and isn't entirely appropriate for this kind of figure - you want to convey strength and power with a warrior, which often means both feet planted on the ground, in a strong, aggressive pose - think Frank Frazetta. It looks like you're struggling with the drapery, too. I would suggest you work more loosely, with more broad strong shapes, and refine them once you find a balance of mass that fits the figure. I would also do some research and find the kinds of drapery you want to include, and spend some time drawing them.

Hope that helps. One last thing - ALWAYS draw the feet. They balance the figure, they establish the figure in the scene (our eyes and minds always try to figure out where the subject is standing, unconsciously), and makes it easier to get proportions of the rest of the limb correct. Everyone hates drawing them.

09 September 2012
Sorry, I haven't used any references, apart from maybe myself in the mirror randomly for form reference.

And yea, the pose ended up really awkward, I started with the head and worked my way down without any planning (which i know is a bad idea)

The tip with the feet is actually helpful! I haven't thought of that before, I'm probably going to restart with that in mind now. thank you guy!

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread