shading environments

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2014
shading environments

Hello Guys,

I got a question about shading objects. While shading every single object you could do the math and after choosing the light source in your painting you could calculate every light ray and assume where its gonna hit and where the cast shadow is going to be, so you know every single spot where the shadow is supossed to lie on the surface. But if I look at the professionals while theyre doing their paintings, they just draw the shadows freestyle without really calculating any lightray in geometrical sense, like using a rules and looking. I can predict theyre not 100% accurate in calculating their shadows in their paintings. Is that normal ? Is there maybe another rule or anything ? Because I kinda dont get it, it is as if they paint their shadows or valus wherever they want..

11 November 2014
The experience artists can make educated guesses like that because they've built up enough experience drawing/painting lots of different lighting situations, and have studied and deconstructed many scenes. They do still life studies, master copies, plein air and alla prima, and have learned the important principles behind the behavior of light and shadow--those all add up and sharpen their instinct and ability to make convincing looking educated guesses.

It's sort of like when you watch a professional billiard player, golfer, basketball player, or even musicians and dancers. When they trained and practiced, they have experimented with many different permutations and had lots of different case studies they deconstructed. They allowed themselves to make lots of mistakes during training sessions and learned from those mistakes. So when it's time to perform on stage or play a tournament match, they have all that experience and insight to back them up, making it look like they can just improvise and still perform amazingly. Behind that improvisation, is a lot of training and experimentation and studying.

reply share thread