Send a message via AIM to wiremuse Send a message via Yahoo to wiremuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerthings
So...
More sculpting stuff
Some nice render farming
Nice renderer improvements
Nice modelling and selection tools
Fit deformers automatically to objects - oddly most excited by this!
OpenGL improvements better be massive!
Text stuff looks useful

But

No node material editor - c'mon you could build it into expresso and it could be awesome!
No mograph enhancements
No xpresso enhancements
Desperately needed particle enhancements

I love c4d but Maxon do like to add stuff that NO one is asking for and not improving the things that matter.

I'm pretty sure Maxon is listening to everyone the thing is, you can't please everyone all of the time and I'm sure they're using very specific customer data and requests to plan out these updates. What they did update I think was absolutely necessary you can't fit everything into one release. They still have managed to squeeze more into releases than their competitors as of late.

IIRC. a lot of the deformers are multithreaded now too which directly impacts things like mograph particularly the fracture object with big performance gains there.

In regards to particles there are inexpensive 3rd party options that are worlds better than the native solution and are interoperable with xpresso, mograph etc.. x-particles and effex 2.0 is out now too. I think Maxon should just buy one and get it over with and integrate it lol

Viewport performance due to other changes under the hood are seemed great to me. At Siggraph Imaginary Forces had some very dense ILM Kaiju models from Pacific Rim (many of them at once) flying around in the viewport no problem. All be it viewport performance was never as bad as people said it to be in the first place except with very heavy/complex character rigs especially with lot of live deformations..gets scary there.

With all that said I'd love to have node-based material editing and xpresso updates myself but at least with xpresso gaps can be filled with python if its not doing something you "need" it to.

I for one wish I could hibernate until Sept. and start using it immediately.

Last edited by wiremuse : 07-26-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
techmage
living in maya

portfolio
Ryan
USA

To the people saying this seems like a small release or doesn't address enough stuff, I would like to point out that C4D releases always tend to be rock solid. Even from first versions.

In comparison to Modo this seems like not as much, but Modo also gets released with much bugs, usually takes till service pack 1 to get really usable. In the case of the Modo 6 release cycle, through all 5 service packs they never even managed to fix everything before going onto the Modo 7 release cycle! Really I think Modo 6 needed about 30% fewer features, or 30% more QA/Dev team to be comparable to C4D's stability.

So even though there may be technically less on R15's list than some other applications. I do think it's important to keep in mind all those features are probably implemented really well, thoroughly QA'ed and will work exactly as you expect with no surprises. Atleast I hope, thats what Maxon has been like in the past.

Which after struggling through the squirreliness of Modo 6 I am personally all for shorter feature lists where everything on it is perfect and stable.

However this still doesn't address my one major concern of C4D, and that is it's usage as a game dev tool to pair with Unity. The subject of light baking isn't touched with this at all. Hopefuly vray4c4d will address that.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #33
Navstar
Expert

N Parker
Mograph Dude
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

Just curious if OpenGL 3 is supported in the Mac version of R15.

I don't think OpenGL 3 ever got used in the Mac version of R14 (It would have required Maxon to compile a specific Mountain Lion build, I believe?)

Will the same hold true for OpenGL 4 and Mavericks? Does this mean the Mac version of C4D will always be a version behind as far as OpenGL goes?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #34
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread