grahamef
Expert
Grahame Fuller
Tech Writer
Autodesk M&E
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadArtist
Can anyone enlighten as to the process they are showing at about a 1:30 into the video?

There's a bit of discussion in the YouTube comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoeleht
And was the chrome balls in the building scene used to give a more realistic lighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMVisualFX
The "chrome" balls your referring to are graphical representations of the more that 1,800 panospheres we shot to create the textures used in virtually all of the New York shots.

<snip>

all of the spheres we shot from three levels, from the street, from about 150' in the air via man lifts and from building rooftops. Each location was in turn shot in the morning, afternoon and evening to give us the most flexibility when matching the live action.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadArtist
Can anyone enlighten as to the process they are showing at about a 1:30 into the video?

That's just some "fluff" for the promo reel. I really doubt that is how they texture the buildings.

P.S.: On second thought it could be an allusion to the chrome spheres photography used to get 360 panorama views? But what is shown here is not the literal method (much like the rest of the promo really).

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01-12-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamef
There's a bit of discussion in the YouTube comments:

thats a lot of work but it definitely paid off.

as for the techniques, they dont show any in the promo because its generally in house stuff, and its primarily a promo, not a tutorial. This year's VFX category is pretty decently stacked id say. My personal favourite is Prometheus but im a biased scifi nerd.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #19
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

And I had been thinking the chrome balls were city reference to use for what got mapped onto Ironman when he flew through.

BTW, there's some custom real pyro in the big battle too. Not sure about where else, but the part where the archer guy jumps and turns and shoots backward has got some stuff back there of blasts along a building that a DP I spoke with got called in to shoot practically while the show was deep in post. He had done some of this on THOR and IRONMAN too, I guess he considers Marvel a godsend in this nearly-all-digital age.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Related to the question earlier about Panospheres.

Do you use Panospheres as source for some kind of "skybox" or "skysphere" projection? Or is this used to derive texture maps for simple geometric stand-in buildings?

Or all of the above?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #21
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

The panoramas (panospheres) they took were used to project textures onto the buildings, it's exactly the same as other projection techniques commonly used to put textures onto geometry - the only difference is it's using spherical projection - rather than orthographic or perspective projection which are more commonly used.

It's very easy to replicate this technique even without using spherical projection. With a six camera rig you can use perspective projection to do this, place all six cameras to the same spot and then point each camera in a different direction (up, down, left, right, front, back) and link each side of a cube environment map to it's corresponding camera (ie.. front map goes to front camera). Now project all six cameras onto geometry. If you have good accurate geometry and position the camera rig in the right place you can texture a complete 360 degree view in one go.

With this textured environment you can then use it to raytrace diffuse/specular reflections of the environment onto the characters, especially for Iron Man who is flying among the buildings. Doing it this way is much better than using a single environment map to do Image Based Lighting - which generally only works if the character isn't moving through the environment.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #22
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyworm
The panoramas (panospheres) they took were used to project textures onto the buildings, it's exactly the same as other projection techniques commonly used to put textures onto geometry - the only difference is it's using spherical projection - rather than orthographic or perspective projection which are more commonly used.

It's very easy to replicate this technique even without using spherical projection. With a six camera rig you can use perspective projection to do this, place all six cameras to the same spot and then point each camera in a different direction (up, down, left, right, front, back) and link each side of a cube environment map to it's corresponding camera (ie.. front map goes to front camera). Now project all six cameras onto geometry. If you have good accurate geometry and position the camera rig in the right place you can texture a complete 360 degree view in one go.

With this textured environment you can then use it to raytrace diffuse/specular reflections of the environment onto the characters, especially for Iron Man who is flying among the buildings. Doing it this way is much better than using a single environment map to do Image Based Lighting - which generally only works if the character isn't moving through the environment.

So it's a.... Skybox?

Forgive me if I missed something... I'm still learning.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #23
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

This is amazing, I don't know where to look. I have to watch it like 10 more times. ILM is hands down the best in my book, I love their realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPositive
Wait a second. Did I just see Scarlett Johansson as a digital double when running from the Hulk at :23??? I might just cry myself to sleep if that's really digital.

I may have enjoyed this video as much as the movie. My God.

I had chills when I seen that, I watched it a few times, her digital double doesn't exactly match when it fades in. I will also shed a tear if that is fully digital.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #24
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
So it's a.... Skybox?

What your thinking of is most commonly referred to as an environment map - skybox is term only really used in games.

But to answer your original question, yes it's likely that ILM are using these images as environment maps (or skyboxes if you prefer ) for image-based lighting, texture painting and possibly backgrounds in compositing.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #25
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyworm
What your thinking of is most commonly referred to as an environment map - skybox is term only really used in games.

But to answer your original question, yes it's likely that ILM are using these images as environment maps (or skyboxes if you prefer ) for image-based lighting, texture painting and possibly backgrounds in compositing.

Cool! Thanks for patiently explaining it to me!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread