Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
colkai
Out there somewhere...

portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcain
Back to the article, I think it's a good highlight/reminder if you are a workaholic to think about working late all the time expecting a heroes welcome, as that will just lead to disappointment.

Quoted this bit as this is really the crux and it applies to pretty much any job.

My father spent years working for a company, putting himself out, doing all the hours they asked and more, going the extra mile. His reward? First time they had redundancies, his was one of the names at the top of the list.
He always told me, do not work your backside off for any company at the expense of your own welfare and health. It is, when all is said and done, a JOB, nothing more. If it's a job you happen to enjoy, well that's gravy, but it is still a job and you are there simply to perform a task, to the best of your abilities for sure, but this is not saving the world.

Ya know, I did my best to listen to my dad but did put a lot of work into my job, couldn't help it, I enjoy pushing my boundaries, (the wife says I still put in far too much). Here's the thing mind you, 20 years down the line working for a company, I got made redundant myself.
Now though, I AM stopping to smell the roses and yeah, with hindsight, I left myself too tired after work to truly look after myself. I don't have any money for anything but the basics, but am in better health, both physically and mentally. I may of been financially better off not losing my job, but overall, I'd say, (at my age), I'd rather struggle by and live life whilst I can.

Here's the funny part, my ex-employers keep calling me now to fix problems for them, but it's on my terms and at my rates. Sometimes, in the effort to save a few bucks, corporate types do not always think things through.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread