Render passes WITHOUT beauty pass?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Render passes WITHOUT beauty pass?

Is it possible to ONLY render Object passes?

I very often need to render objects masks without wanting to do a full render. No shaders, no lights, just object buffers and Depth.

I have been setting up layer sets, then turning things on and off in groups befor render. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Duff

Old 10 October 2013   #2
You could disable most features like lights, textures, reflections etc in the basic render settings.
Just disable the beauty save option and keep multipass enabled.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Just another reason why we need some sort of override or scene state capability in Cinema.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
One thing that I will sometimes do is create a Null at 0,0,0 with a compositing tag on it. Anything I don't want rendered will go into that null, and depending on what I'm trying to do, I will either enable 'matte object' or disable 'seen by camera'. If I need some of one and some of the other, I will have 2 such nulls, named accordingly. I find this easier to manage than having to assign objects and their children to layer-sets.
OSX 10.10.5
C4D R18 Studio/CC/VizRT
Will's Works

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Originally Posted by ryanduff: Is it possible to ONLY render Object passes?

I very often need to render objects masks without wanting to do a full render. No shaders, no lights, just object buffers and Depth.

I have been setting up layer sets, then turning things on and off in groups befor render. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Duff

You don't need layer sets for this, it is what the render setting profiles are for. Save a child of your master render setting with only your desired object buffers and depth enabled and disable textures, shadows, ao, reflections etc in the options tab. Flick between the two as needed.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread