Kitchen...again...I hope it never gets old. :)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #31
Out of curiosity, which change(s) did you make that sped up your rendertimes?

I was only jokin' about your Mac, use it as long as it works!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06 June 2013   #32
Changing the point density has the most impact on render times. I changed it to .5 which already speeds everything up.

Do you know any good tutorials on wood textures? For my next project I'm gonna need a lot of different wood textures maps.

Old 06 June 2013   #33
Glad the Point Density change helped, just remember it will always look better at 1.0! But if it looks good enough at .5, then by all means use that setting.

Wood textures? If you have a decent 8M pixel camera, take your own if possible. If not, head on over to cgtextures.com and there are quite a few decent ones. You'll have to make an account, but it's free unless you want the high-res pics. Well worth it, as most of them are tilable and very useful. But it's always best if you make your own, from materials you might be using on the job.

Wood settings vary immensely, if you need some advice on the mia_mat_x settings I think you should start a new thread in the Maya forums. It would be awesome for people to post their results and combinations! Maybe we could make a quick test-scene for people to share. I'd gladly volunteer on of my kitchens or something.

Edit: Here's kind of a baseline white, painted wood setting I've been using lately:

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06 June 2013   #34
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread