assigning asphalt texture to irregular roads

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
assigning asphalt texture to irregular roads

Normally I used to have roads that can be created by loft objects and it was easy to assign asphalt textures with tire tracks correctly. (The darkened tracks that tile along the road) A small portion of the asphalt tiling was doing the job.

Now I need to texture the following road object:

I can only assign and tile a flat asphalt texture but it is so unrealistic like solid color.
I need to assign -may be as a layer onto this flat asphalt- a dark double tire track texture.

The area is large so I can't just draw the entire map in photoshop. It needs to be very high res. I must make a normal res texture to tile at least, at the curved but regular parts. What is the best way to assign such textures?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Maybe use a mix-map texture? Paint a a low res black/white texture that will define what is 'clean' asphalt where the tire tracks are and use that to mix between the actual hi res textures.

edit: if you use a brush stroke that has some lines in it can even get a direction into the tiremarks (http://creativenerds.co.uk/wp-conte.../01/strokes.jpg for example) doesn't matter if it's not that hires since it will only be used to mix the hires)

And to get the edges of the road a but ruffed up.. select the all verts that are on the outer edge edge and give them a white vertex color and give all the internal verts a black color. Then use the 'vertex color' map to mix between clean asphalt and dirty-edge asphalt.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
You could use mutliple tiles using UV coordinates lower/higher than 0-1. Or use different mappings with different map channels so instead of using one big map for the whole object you can use multiple maps with a decent size.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Can you break the road up into sections? Use loft mapping for the long stretches and curves, and then model intersections/junctions separately and use simple planar mapping on those pieces. It's tedious, but it works.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thank you all friends. Your recommendations helped a lot.

I used mix map, to mix a tiled seamless asphalt with non tiled large image consist of two dark parallel lines that I rendered out of the shape extracted from the border of the road polygon model. At 2048x1280 resolution and a bit photoshop noise afterwards. It is better than my expectations; only it takes time to create the entire junctions.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread