Animation Mentor experience?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2011   #31
Stefanie, thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate the feedback and this really helps as I try and decide what I am going to do. I have heard a lot of really great things about AM and the more I hear the more impressed I become. Thanks again for your reply!

Old 09 September 2011   #32
you are welcome, feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions ... and definitly shoot me an AM mail if you are joining the school ^^

Old 09 September 2011   #33
Originally Posted by Thearetical: This is all such fantastic information, thank you so much!

My main concern is about finding a job when I graduate...I know that the videos From AM and the former students all say that they're getting recruited even before they graduate, and make it sound as if studios are clamoring to get AM students...but realistically most of these testimonials are from a few years ago. There are a lot more graduates now, and there's a lot more competition.

I'm definitely not trying to knock AM because it really IS a fantastic program on character animation. Saying that, we've had around 6 of our students attend AM post graduation and only 1 works in the industry (another has taught part time animation at an Art Institute) currently (and it seems to be contract movie jobs and still not concrete). Several just couldn't finish and the others simply can't get hired for some reason or another. Honestly, finding work in character animation seems to be the hardest of all the components in CG art in my opinion. There are a lot of people that want to be the ones that bring the story to life and only so many jobs available. I'm definitely not trying to discourage anyone, because frankly 1 in 6 is still better percentages than most any other school by quite a bit. I just think it would be remiss to think you will go to AM and be guaranteed a full time position from doing so.

Last edited by MrPositive : 09 September 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Old 09 September 2011   #34
You are asking two basic questions...

Is AM a good school? I think the majority would say yes. I believe the quality of their instruction and environment is superb. The same goes for iAnimate and AnimSchool. I say that with the caveat that while the quality of the instruction is great, when it comes to school you only get out what you put in.

Will I be able to get a job when I graduate? Short answer, sure. With the right connections, the willingness to move geography maybe several times, the willingness to take short term contract work, the willingness to take lower entry level pay and the assumption that you are not only top of your class, but that you take the time to put in extra post-grad work to greatly refine your demo reel.

It just a matter of supply and demand.

There are few jobs out there, there are even fewer in highly specialized industries like Animation and VFX. We all know the economy sucks. But now with the ability for anyone to now obtain the education due to the internet means more students out of a global pool, who will eventually be looking for work. Many who have no background in the field going in. Can a good school take a copier repair man and make him a production ready Pixar quality animator in 18 months. Not likely. If that repair man has untapped natural talent combined with the education and hard work, he might get an entry level job. And that's all any AM graduate wants, a chance to prove themselves. The rest comes with practice.

My point being that the market is saturated with graduates from schools like AM, which I believe will mean as their alumni base builds their placement rate will drop. There are just not enough jobs right now.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. AM is a great school. And if you're passionate and willing to work hard you can land a gig. Don't give up.

With that said the best thing you can do is be an artist. Draw, paint, sculpt, write. Go out and take photos, learn how a camera operates. Learn everything you can about cinema and story telling. The rest is just button pushing. Being an artist is what will truly separate you from the pack.

Last edited by carson4k : 09 September 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Old 09 September 2011   #35
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread