brushed metals?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2006   #1
brushed metals?

Hey, I've been thinking of a few new renders to create (maybe one I'll actually post some day! ) and I've been researching on how to create a create brushed steel, or aluminum.

Does anybody have a method for creating such a material?

I want to know everybody's take!

Old 02 February 2006   #2
I have a way (3Ds Max 7)... i cant remember where i learned this from or if it was just a fluke by messing around with settings.

in the Materials:
  • start with a Standard material
  • in the reflection slot put, Raytrace
  • change the diffuse color to a dark grey (gray). almost black.
Render Menu:
  • (were staying with Default scanline not Mental Ray)
  • go to Rendering>render (or F10)
  • select the raytracer tab
  • and under the Global Ray Antialiaser section, check the box next to 'on:'
  • (doesnt matter if its on "Multiresolution Adaptive Antialiaser"or "Fast Adaptive Antialiaser" because these are the Global setting and we just want to effect our material not all raytracing in the scene.)

Now back into the Material:
  • (in the "Raytrace Perameters" of the Raytrace in the Reflection slot)
  • you can now see that becaus we set the Global Ray Antialiaser to on, we have the option here too (its called "Raytrace Reflection and Refraction Antialiaser" here for some reason but its the same thing).
  • Turn it on.
  • Here we Do want to change it to "Multiresolution Adaptive Antialiaser"
  • click the button to the right that looks like this [...]
  • here youll see a paragraph on what this does. and some settings to play around with.
  • Adaptive Controll i usually leave alone,
  • in the "Blur/Defocus..." i only change the Defocusing to "0.25" but based on your global scale your settings may be different. try "0.25" and if its not blury enough make it higher and if its too blury make it lower
  • Render and see the effects.
  • NOTE: as the paragraph in the settings said, this will be expensive on render side.

this is the only way i know how to do Brushed/blury metal. adding specularity maps and bump maps you can get more dynamic with scratches/wire brush look and smudges.
tell me if anyone uses this way or if theres another way. its always good to know alternitives to make workflow faster.

RENDERS (as you can see it even blurs the environment map)
"Multiresolution..." Render

"Adaptive..." render lower resolution blur like scanline DOF. sphere on the right shows it the most.

~Curtis "Cryo"

Last edited by CryoTwin : 02 February 2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Added Examples

Old 02 February 2006   #3
Brushed metals have a property called anysotropy, that is some physical properties of the reflection function are not symmetric. If you want to reproduce the look of brushed metals you'll need a special shader (I don't know if it is provided with 3ds). Read also http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educa...f/aniso_ref.htm
In the end of the page there is a link with some tips on how to reproduce the effect using bump maps.
EDIT: it says also that mental ray has a shader: is perhaps mental ray the standard renderer of 3ds?

Last edited by cignox1 : 02 February 2006 at 09:01 AM.

Old 02 February 2006   #4
Please don't post 3d specific questions in the Art Techniques and Theories Forum (as the Sticky says). Which forum would you like me to move this to: the Max forum, or the General Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing forum?

Old 02 February 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread