Convert a .max file to FBX or C4d anyone?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Convert a .max file to FBX or C4d anyone?

Can anyone out there help me out I have a .max file I need converted into anything I can open in Cinema 4d. I'm on a mac and seems there are no tools for this?

04 April 2013
I remember I had to do this recently, and all I did was download the demo of 3DSMax, and it was fully functional for 30 days, so I was able to make sure all my polys were manifold and the normals were pointing outwards, then exported it as an .obj, and a .3ds just to be safe and that worked perfectly for me.

....I work on a Windows rig tho....

I'm no longer have the demo, but maybe if you ask nicely, someone in the Max forums might do it for ya?

Worth a shot

04 April 2013
Thanks I will, if I had a PC I would do it myself. I even tried downloading the demo of MAYA 2013 and the FBX utility but still nothing.

cheers
v

04 April 2013
I believe that you can only open a .max file in 3dsmax, so you'd probably have better success trying that subforum.

04 April 2013
Send me your File and i convert it for you...

09 September 2013
I really hope if this model could be converted to C4D? Or any other format that goes well with Cinema 4D, such as .obj would be preferred?

rfx.F-35A MAX.zip
the model: http://grabcad.com/library/f-35-a-lightning-ii

the .MAX file: http://uploaded.net/file/knoa7pgk

thanks a lot in advance!!

( i need it for a small free project involving a satire on politics, but it has to be realistic, and i am on a mac without bootcamp and the likes)

09 September 2013
The Autodesk FBX converter can open 3ds files and export as FBX but I'm pretty sure the only thing that can read Max files is Max.

So you need to get 3ds and convert, or better OBJ or FBX.. or take the kind offer posted above.

Cheers,
Brian

09 September 2013
Thanks, Brian. I'll see what I do tomorrow. Perhaps I could do with a trial from 3ds Max, and yeah, if someone would help that'd be easier. I have no idea how much work is involved converting this.

09 September 2013
I can convert it for you.... ;-)

:edit:

ItŽll take a while... the download is super slow...

Last edited by CG-IMAGE : 09 September 2013 at 07:57 AM.

09 September 2013
I have convertet it... but the quality is poor. The model was already triangulated in MAx.

Here youŽll find it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxbbqqpm2hzu89v/F-35_A.zip

Best regards,

Maurice

09 September 2013
Thanks so much, Maurice!!

Really appreciated!

I'll have a look into it.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Maurice-Panisch: I have convertet it... but the quality is poor. The model was already triangulated in MAx.

Quality is good enough for me. Thanks again!

09 September 2013
No Problem... you are welcome!

Best,

Maurice

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread