3ds Max plane zoom in quality?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
3ds Max plane zoom in quality?

I am trying to render a scene with huge plane and 2 teapots using Standard max camera and Vray sun but the texture quality of plane is very low and When I use the UVW map it just looks weird.
The image which is applied on plane is very huge (over 4k resolution)
Why the low quality?

Any help?

Here is the image:

11 November 2012
When you're only viewing such a small part it will look worse. If it's a tileable texture then you can increase the number of tiles.

11 November 2012
Try box mapping with real-world scale. Blend 2 or more tiling textures (or the same one scaled and rotated) Layering a composite map using a noise map as the alpha for example. It's a matter of testing scale, minimising repeats in the tiles by overlaying areas of similar textures.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by teracore: The image which is applied on plane is very huge (over 4k resolution
Unless it's tiling then 4k isn't big at all for a ground plane that close to camera. If you don't want a tiling image then you'll need to start working with a much larger texture (12k+). If your camera is locked in place then it can be helpful to just UV/texture the region you'll see.

11 November 2012
Quote: 4k isn't big at all for a ground plane that close to camera
Actually it should be sufficent (if the output is 2K or less. But you're right, bigger is better. Not sure about 12K though.

But it also depends how large the actual plane is, if we see just a 1/10 of it's width then we would only see 400 px which is way too low.

11 November 2012

This is kind of what I had in mind (as before). Could even have further composites within each layer. Basically keep layering in and offsetting maps. You could add further localized detail is as AJ suggests with a final mask.

11 November 2012
Thanks guys for replying.

11 November 2012
I couldn't see if you were making an animation or only a still. Anyhow for endless planes and procedural terrains I use xstream and max. A flat plane is worst case with that solution too as you should put a brake on the horizon by using buildings or mountains. If you have to do this sort of thing more often there are terrain plugins for max as well: sinti sati dreamscape I think it is.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread