Texturing for Maya Cam Projection

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Texturing for Maya Cam Projection

Hi all,

This is a pretty noob question and I am not very sure if my questions fits in here.

I am trying to figure out some camera projection stuff but I am curious about the texturing part.
Suppose I project several buildings onto a simple mesh (via using a still 2D image), and I would like to apply some dirts etc to make the buildings totally different from its original...

And so, I know one method is to put the image and touch up in photoshop.Are there any other more ways to do it as well? Could anyone perhaps reccomend/post up links for me as reference (if there are any?)

2. Then what about for moving footage?

09 September 2012
Well, there are the basic painting tools in maya but they don't support the cam proj node as far as I know. Would be very cool if someone know of a workaround/solution.

I've used Nuke whenever I needed to do something like this, very hand for this kind of stuff.

What do you mean by moving footage? If you've animated a camera, the projected textures still stay in place. Or do you mean that the projected textures are animated themselves?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Ekenryd: Well, there are the basic painting tools in maya but they don't support the cam proj node as far as I know. Would be very cool if someone know of a workaround/solution.

I've used Nuke whenever I needed to do something like this, very hand for this kind of stuff.

What do you mean by moving footage? If you've animated a camera, the projected textures still stay in place. Or do you mean that the projected textures are animated themselves?

Hi Ekenryd, do you mean to say using maya paint tools so as to apply those dirt-like texture above the projeced textures?

By moving footage, I mean as in video clips

09 September 2012
I was thinking that you would paint onto the projected texture (dirt or whatever) directly in maya, but maya doesn't support using a projected texture as the base for painting. Also, it would be very hard to make something good looking as mayas painting tools are very basic. I belive Maxon have this functionality with bodypaint/projection master, check it out. Bodypaint is very cheap but I don't know if projection master is included.

Still unsure what you're asking about with the video clips. Do you mean that you have a moving sequence and want to add dirt to say a building? Make a 3d-track, place a cube where the building is and paint on that and comp it over the footage. Or you could try 2d-tracking some dirt if the footage allows it. Or approach it like you would with a still, freeze a frame, project it, bake to textures, animate a camera and paint on. But maybe you meant something else with video clips?

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Ekenryd: I was thinking that you would paint onto the projected texture (dirt or whatever) directly in maya, but maya doesn't support using a projected texture as the base for painting. Also, it would be very hard to make something good looking as mayas painting tools are very basic. I belive Maxon have this functionality with bodypaint/projection master, check it out. Bodypaint is very cheap but I don't know if projection master is included.

Still unsure what you're asking about with the video clips. Do you mean that you have a moving sequence and want to add dirt to say a building? Make a 3d-track, place a cube where the building is and paint on that and comp it over the footage. Or you could try 2d-tracking some dirt if the footage allows it. Or approach it like you would with a still, freeze a frame, project it, bake to textures, animate a camera and paint on. But maybe you meant something else with video clips?

Hi Ekenryd, yup you are right on the video clips as that is what i meant.
Taking into account as to what you have wrote, I am somewhat able to garner the process involved but would like to ask/know if it will be a even greater idea to generate different render layers (inclusive of the dirt layer) and comp everything over the footage for the realism?

09 September 2012
Are you using a 2D plane which you have projected some buildings on - like a backdrop ? (a technique also known as "billboarding")

Because if it's like that you can solve this with a layered shader.
One layer holds the texture with the projected buildings, another layer holds the dirt texture. Then you just paint the dirt in photoshop - or in Maya too actually using the 3D painting functionality. Just make sure that you have a UV set for the dirt -part.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade: Are you using a 2D plane which you have projected some buildings on - like a backdrop ? (a technique also known as "billboarding")

Because if it's like that you can solve this with a layered shader.
One layer holds the texture with the projected buildings, another layer holds the dirt texture. Then you just paint the dirt in photoshop - or in Maya too actually using the 3D painting functionality. Just make sure that you have a UV set for the dirt -part.

Hi DeadlyNightshade, not sure if my method is what you meant but my method of doing camera projections is as follows:

- Create simple geometry eg. a rectangular block and apply surface shader onto the mesh and have it as a projection shader
- Do note that so far my experiences with camera projection, only comes from still image.

As such, right now, I am trying to attempt using a video footage to do my projections.
By the way, correct me if I am wrong, as you have mentioned having one layer as the projected texture and another layer as the dirt texture - the layers do you mean to say as in render layers?

10 October 2012
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a render layer but take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_hCGEC7q8

Same principle: You have your current stuff at the back, and the dirt at the front (which has a different texture source - which you can either 3D paint on or work on via Photoshop).

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread