"Blood Right" Character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
"Blood Right" Character

Hello

Started this model after drawing up the concept at work (lazy)
really looking forward to texturing this and playing with the skin-branch colours.

Named - "blood right"
Program - Blender
Themed on the idea of unwanted/ungrateful inherited royalty.

Please share your thoughts / critique
Thanks, Zac

09 September 2012
Good start don't love the ear so far and there's something about the eyes

Small Scorpion suit

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Scote: Good start don't love the ear so far and there's something about the eyes

Small Scorpion suit

Thanks for the feed back

sorry but, can you clarify what you mean about the ears and eyes. I can see they rant perfect but I am not sure what I need to tweak.

thanks again !

09 September 2012
If you can provind us a front and size view we can look better and point the good way to fix.

perhaps his just the lens distortion that give you that.

09 September 2012
Smile Update - Clothing textures

After a 11 hour blender session I now think it is time for bed.
I am new to 3D so I am a slow worker haha

A few things I can see need fixing.finishing.

- the empty spaces on the gold trim need some detail. and maybe a ridge
- some sort of artifice on the right shoulder resulting in a black line.
- and on the ridge of the collar the patten seems to have stretched.
- also note that the stitches on the green wrapping isn't great. I spent along time trying to get that to work and got pretty frustrated so I am letting that be for now.

Hope you all like it so far

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Scote: If you can provind us a front and size view we can look better and point the good way to fix.
perhaps his just the lens distortion that give you that.

Ill try and get one up sooner or later. but this build has been very shot focused and most things out side of the camera angle are neglected and messy. i have learned the value of not letting that happen as now i can't really move my camera without seeing mistakes. lesson learnt

09 September 2012
Good lol

Any way I did the same thing on my Range Murata wip. All the seams of textures are in the back.

09 September 2012
Update - Skin and tweaking.

Update so far.
Ps. anyone know if it is possible to render certain materials with different Sample values from the lamps ?

I need high samples for the clothing but only a quarter of the value for the skin. and rendering with the samples high takes a very long time for the skin and not the clothes. so it would be nice to not have to spend that time on parts that don't need it.
As you can see the fabric gets a bit noisy in the shadows. I used 5 samples per lamp for the skin and this took 2.7 hours .

I need the samples around 10 for the fabrics.

09 September 2012
Where is your front and side view? lol you can just give me shader view you know.

09 September 2012
Hi there!

Good work so far. I'll try to give my 2 cents:

1. For the ears: well, currently it doesn't bothers me at all, but, dealing with "ideal" anatomical proportions, this one looks small. Normally the top of the ear share the same line of the eyebrows, and the bottom fits with the end of the nose.

2. The mouth's volumes could have a little more work too, specially on the "borders".

3. Are u using the Blender Internal render?
If the answer is yes, then:
3.1. You can check the RGB Radius of your SSS material. Currently your skin looks a little "greenish ". By default the common skin follows the 100%/50%/25% rule (such as R:10 G:5 B:2,5), then tweak. If you did this greenish look deliberately, then nevermind :P
3.2 For the lights: you can combine the same lights in different layers, with different sample values. Make a copy of your current lights and put on another layer. Set the sample values for the skin and for the clothes, and create 2 Render Layers: 1 rendering the skin with the lower samples and another rendering the clothes, with higher samples.

Hope that helps, and looking for more
(and sorry for the english :P)

09 September 2012
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by syunikiso: Hope that helps, and looking for more
(and sorry for the english :P)

Thanks buddy !

All those tips and pointers I can see really improving it.
really appreciate the help !

I may do a higher sculpt on the skin, although i can achieve spec with the bump map i just think the edge of his cheek is a little to smooth for my liking.

thanks again !

09 September 2012
Question

I retextured, and tweaked a lot of stuff since my last render so I got set back a couple days.
But just thought I would post this for anyone is interested.

While I was adding my beard I noticed in the reflection of my monitor that your skin is almost completely covered in small light hairs that glow in any strong rim light.

Took me a few times to work out how to acheive it but attached is my result. note along the edges of the skin

(in blender)
- I used a texture map to single out the areas i wanted (this only works for stills so far i imagine)
- gave it a material with a z transparency , 0 alpha
- add specular RGB (0.64,0.628,0.626) , 0.39 intensity
- add 0.188 translucency
- work out how dense you want the particles.

as you can see in my pic. the way it shows on a hard material compared to SSS skin is very different.
So i just need to trim the hairs and reduce it to the very edge.
I have also fixed his beard since this render as well.

Does anyone know a better/different way to achieve this ?

I also applied the same technique to the clothing to mimic loose and torn stitches
. still needs refining a bit

09 September 2012
Mm not sre about all that hair on the textured shirt.. also the gold look too CG for me

09 September 2012
Almost

Not long to go now !

Things to do next -
I need to redo the stitching on the green wrapping. as well as adjust its fabric size
Eyebrows and lashes.
Adjust the glint beneath the right eye
Randomise the top edge of the moustache and refine the line so its not growing on the top lip .

Not sure how If I will crop it to this size in the end BUT I feel having the full torso was a little pointless and off focus ?

Last edited by ZacAndrews : 09 September 2012 at 03:35 PM.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread