Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
vbr2809
portfolio
Brian V
Copenhagen, Denmark

Looking for spaceship tutorial

Hey guys,

Do any of you know some good tutorials on how to make a spaceship or simular models for a game?

I'm looking for a tutorial that takes me through the whole process from scratch, though the actual modeling is not so important rather how the model should look like when its ready for texturing if it consist of multiple components. And the making of normal map and other maps used for game models plus the texturing process up till the point when its ready to go to the game engine.

It doesn't have to be free, although it would be nice.

I'm working in 3ds max and using Photoshop for textures. But the tutorial doesn't have to be in those programs since its the workflow I'm looking for.

Kind regards
Brian

Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbr2809
Hey guys,

Do any of you know some good tutorials on how to make a spaceship or simular models for a game?

I'm looking for a tutorial that takes me through the whole process from scratch, though the actual modeling is not so important rather how the model should look like when its ready for texturing if it consist of multiple components. And the making of normal map and other maps used for game models plus the texturing process up till the point when its ready to go to the game engine.

It doesn't have to be free, although it would be nice.

I'm working in 3ds max and using Photoshop for textures. But the tutorial doesn't have to be in those programs since its the workflow I'm looking for.

Kind regards
Brian

Plenty of those on YouTube if you search for it.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
vbr2809
portfolio
Brian V
Copenhagen, Denmark

Canīt seem to find one :(

Maybe Iīm not searching right.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
ifcruickshank
portfolio
USA

Not 100% what you're looking for, but it should cover the modeling part. The second one is free.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-cou...sci-fi-vehicle/

http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/c...aceship-part-1/

Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

When I search youtube for "modeling a spaceship for use in unity (or whichever engine you prefer)" I get a lot of valid hits. What about that isn't working for you?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
vbr2809
portfolio
Brian V
Copenhagen, Denmark

Thx for the links ifcruickshank, that is some nice spaceships, but not quite what I am looking for.

Iīm sorry if I didnīt make it clear, but the modeling is not important, itīs more the texturing part Iīm interested in and how the model should be put together for games.
Like do I attach all the parts to one object, if i have more than one uv layout how do I get all the textures on my model in Unity and etc.

I am not building a spaceship, but I thought that a tutorial that goes through the whole process up to the point when itīs imported in to Unity would help me answer those questions plus the rest I have

Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Google search: "unity 3d game workflow"

As easy as ... well shit, that's easier than everything that ever was or will be.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

I am having the same problem finding a good and clear tutorial on how to do a (clean) texturing for the game model in 3DS Max.
I need to build some SF buildings for strategy game (something like starcraft 2 terran building models).

For example, I like how this guy did a building models:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNUnqi9pew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXS_BhGvIhU

But I don't know the process.
Did he first made hi polygon object (with lots of different UVW map channels), and then "rendered to texture" on low poly version of the building, or he just unwrapped low poly version of the building, and then he used Photoshop to made a texture?
I am pretty confused also about placing adequate textures on adequate places. Any tip on that?
I've searched for tutorials, but all I could find is how to texture a barrel, or a low poly character, but nothing similar to what I want.

I apologies to vbr2809 for using his thread to ask similar question.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf
I am having the same problem finding a good and clear tutorial on how to do a (clean) texturing for the game model in 3DS Max.
I need to build some SF buildings for strategy game (something like starcraft 2 terran building models).

For example, I like how this guy did a building models:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNUnqi9pew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXS_BhGvIhU

But I don't know the process.
Did he first made hi polygon object (with lots of different UVW map channels), and then "rendered to texture" on low poly version of the building, or he just unwrapped low poly version of the building, and then he used Photoshop to made a texture?
I am pretty confused also about placing adequate textures on adequate places. Any tip on that?
I've searched for tutorials, but all I could find is how to texture a barrel, or a low poly character, but nothing similar to what I want.

Then do the barrel! These seem like pretty straightforward model/UV/paint texture jobs to me. I'd generally use texture baking when doing complex organic or character models. But even those can be done this way if you prefer, but it can be a lot more work depending on the model's complexity.

As for the examples you linked, simply model your asset, using a concept drawing if you have one. Then lay out the UVs using a checkerboard. This is simply to check for the "evenness" or "pixel density" of the UV'd surfaces. You want the checkers to be roughly the same size all over the model, with as little warping or distortion as possible. Now simply export your UV template and paint a texture in Photoshop (or wherever). You'll need to follow whatever rules are set for your engine's texture requirements, like 1:1 ratio or multiples of 2 or whatever.

That' the simplest method. As you do assets for real games, you'll find that you can re-use certain areas of your texture for more than one region of your model, but that starts to get dependent on what game engine you are using and how you plan to generate shadows.

But there's no big complicated secrets here. Build a simple asset like a crate and step through the process, looking up answers to roadblocks as they come. There's so much info out there on stuff like Unity that almost every question has been asked/answered already. The way to really learn the process and not just be a button-pusher is to learn to solve problems, which are a constant at every level of the process.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Texturing can be a bit tricky if you're talking about getting normals to look right in game which is what I think you're asking about.

Check out xNormal. http://www.xnormal.net/Tutorials.aspx
Once your UVs are in place xNormal makes baking out the maps very easy.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
Shadowlich
Blender Head
portfolio
Andrei Belean
USA

Hers a tutorial on modeling one, though its in blender:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaPd4ieTmng

Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Then do the barrel!

Thanks a lot for advice Artbot.
Sorry, wasn't able to reply sooner, and doing some other work, while I am waiting for the client to answer.

I forgot to attach building I am working on, so you can see what is wrong.
So, here's the basic model:
http://s2.postimg.org/5vlb2uurd/New_Building_01.jpg

And updated:
http://s2.postimg.org/8qye9pyrd/New_Building_03.jpg

However, I think textures could be much more better.
I have a lots of free SF textures, but really not sure where to put what, and that subject is very rare explained on the texturing tutorials.
When I unwrap building, I am having problem seeing which part is what (when I export UVW), so I came to idea that I first do unwrap (simple box unwrap), and then render to texture (without his automatic unwraping), and then use that as a guide where is what.
Still didn't try that out, though.

Thanks to all for useful advices.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbr2809
Thx for the links ifcruickshank, that is some nice spaceships, but not quite what I am looking for.

Iīm sorry if I didnīt make it clear, but the modeling is not important, itīs more the texturing part Iīm interested in and how the model should be put together for games.
Like do I attach all the parts to one object, if i have more than one uv layout how do I get all the textures on my model in Unity and etc.

I am not building a spaceship, but I thought that a tutorial that goes through the whole process up to the point when itīs imported in to Unity would help me answer those questions plus the rest I have

There would be a lot of different ways to achieve a sound model. I have only tried a few. You can break a model up into separate parts and those parts can have their own textures but when you put those parts together in an engine you have to make sure the polys that intersect are fairly perpendicular. If the polys lie on each other (on the same plane) you get texture shimmer. Buildings dont have to move as a rule but a spaceship could be made of separate parts and just be linked as game engines respect linking.

I found really basic building tutorials for games but one of the great ones has a very nice modular technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rxA9lZnbk
Maybe that will help.

Cheers

Edit: if you are going to break up your models you will have to bake overlapping parts separately.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread