Benjamin LOUIS
Creative Designer
Faurecia
Royal Oak, USA

Clay scrapper bot, Benjamin LOUIS (2D)

Title: Clay scrapper bot
Name: Benjamin LOUIS
Software: Photoshop

Here's a scene I imagined. A bot working on the clay model of my Lotus Concept (See gallery). Work on the lighting atmosphere was fun.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
linainverse23
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Veronica Purpura
Anaheim, USA

Wink

Pity. I'd hate for us to lose the human touch on car model/sculpting (it just sounds wrong having a machine design another machine, especially a cool one like a Lotus). Great use of light and color, especially the clay reds. I think, though, that it's too deep in the wheel well, so the clay sculpt loses some of its volume and feels more hollow (probably should've blocked out the tire/wheel there instead). I like the line work and broad brush strokes for this piece (it helps captures the planar faces of these mechanical elements). Overall, a really cool piece. Keep it up. Nice work.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Asphaaalt
Veteran

portfolio
Benjamin LOUIS
Creative Designer
Faurecia
Royal Oak, USA

Clay Bot

Thanks, your points are very interesting.
I'm actually glad you point this out! Here, the idea was exactly to show what you're saying: the machines taking over what only humans are capable of having sensibility for. It would be a pity, indeed. I did this sketch because I have so much admiration for clay modelers. These guys have golden hands. I felt interesting to imagine machines designing each other.
Regarding the wheel, I see your point, good one.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
linainverse23
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Veronica Purpura
Anaheim, USA

Wink

I'm glad you liked my comments. I tend to talk more about interesting pieces. You were able to capture the intent with this painting (again, still a pity). I too, think that the model makers have a special gift (not just anyone can do that). I'm getting ready to start character modeling in clay to expand my skill sets, but it would be character and creatures, not machines (I just not as good with geometric shapes and such; I'm better with organic subjects). So I tend to appreciate people with good architectural and machine modeling/design skills since it's what I lack. The sweeping motion of the robot's arm as he scrapes the car model was what originally got my attention, so your piece was a great success in capturing the audiences attention.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Asphaaalt
Veteran

portfolio
Benjamin LOUIS
Creative Designer
Faurecia
Royal Oak, USA

;-)

Thanks man!
I actually am quite a novice at sketching robots and machines but they always fascinated me. For thé gesture of the robot it is indeed what makes it believable. I wanted it to act like a human being.

Plus it was a good occasion to mix Car design and Mech ;-)

Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread