Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
IvansNotHome
Veteran

portfolio
Ivan's Not Home
Columbus, USA

Question Problem with lathe and following tutorial. Difference in 3ds 2011 compared to 2012?

I'm having a hard time following this tutorial as it's being increasingly confusing each time I go over it. I'm watching the Digital Tutors - Building the back of the engine with NURBS video and towards the middle of it, he says to use the Create Lathe Surface. When he starts to actually show the "saucer", his left viewport shows the spine and then a few green lines showing the rest of the image (or whatever it is, I'm still new to everything, hence the tutorials). However, there's a problem: I get a huge smattering of latices (is that what the white lines are called?) that form that "saucer". From then on, I cannot follow along with this tutorial as what he's doing makes no sense, as I get different results. Below are screenshots of what I'm talking about

(Apologies for the pics being small. No idea that they'd be scaled down so bad, so if someone can't really see what I'm talking about, I'll see about providing larger ones.)

1. The initial spline layout. So far, so good.

2. He says to click on "Create Lathe Surface" then hover over the spline, it'll highlight blue. So far, so good.

3. Tutorial says to click on the spline. As you can see, when he does it, you see the spline and some green lines that (I assume) are vaguely lining out the rest of the shape. On my end, the minute I click on that spline, I get a huge mess of white lines which shows off the "saucer".

4. As you can see, his viewport shows no jumbled mess but mine does. Is this the difference in 3ds 2011 and 3ds 2012? I can't find any other answer regarding it.

5. Then, he goes on to say he is going to rotate the surface on the Z axis at 180 degrees and when he does, he gets a duplicate of that spline. If I do that, I don't get anything. All I do is rotate the white object upside down. One person told me to uncheck "Surfaces" in the NURBS Curve General rollout. If I were to do that, the only thing I see is the spline. I do not even see the green lines like the tutorial has it. And, if I were to rotate it just like he does, I do not get a duplicate copy.

I am completely lost on this and no matter how many times I watch it or go through the various rollouts to figure out what's going on, I can't figure it out. I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light on this.

Last edited by IvansNotHome : 02-10-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: correct picture sizing

Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Do yourself a favour and stop doing that tutorial.
Nobody uses NURBS in 3ds Max as they just suck too much.

Use the Lathe modifier and model with Editable Polys, not NURBS.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
IvansNotHome
Veteran

portfolio
Ivan's Not Home
Columbus, USA

Y'know, you're not the first one to tell me that and I'd be more happy to believe it, however, I was told to at least follow it along so that I know how bad NURBS really are. Plus, if I were to skip the tutorial, I figured I'd miss out on something later on down the road in later ones.

Unless someone else can suggest a better video tutorial for "Introduction to 3ds Max". If so, I'll be way more than happy enough to watch it instead of this one.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Plus, if I were to skip the tutorial, I figured I'd miss out on something later on down the road in later ones.
You won't miss NURBS, trust me. 3ds Max is a poly modelling tool, so stick with polys.
Introductional tutorials - plenty. 3dbuzz, 3d total, youtube, 3dpalace just to name a few.

There's no difference with NURBS in 2012 compared to NURBS in 2011, actually there hasn't been a a change since version 2 back in 1998 or 1999.
It's probably something really simple that causes the difference(probably a preference with displaying the NURBS) however your screenshots are very small( if you reupload them, post bigger shots of the menus on the right) so you best upload your file so I or someone else can have a look at.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
IvansNotHome
Veteran

portfolio
Ivan's Not Home
Columbus, USA

I was shown how to use a regular spline with the Lathe modifier to get the same result of that tutorial so all is well. I can see why no one likes NURBS.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread