Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

fur of Coca-Cola Polar Bears. with maya software

so i was watching this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxJft7B2ts

and i have a character which i want it to put a fur like this for a long time but i am still not succeeded.

this is the character using maya software rendering and shave haircut.

plz any help.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

I'm not sure about Maya software... but I'd recommend you give Mental Ray a try. There are lots of nice fur renders using MR

shave + MR
http://www.3dm3.com/forum/f198/wolf-massimorighi-19135/
http://www.awn.com/articles/article...geance/page/2,1

This one also has some tutorial sort-of
http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-160.htm

I've seen simple Maya Fur + MR producing as good a result as the ones above, too.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Cyberone
SailingAtomSailingAtThem!

portfolio
Simon Bull
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Hi there,

you can get pretty good fur using mayas stock fur system and mental ray.
Shave is even better. But both can be quite tricky...

A good base model and good UVs are pretty important.

I would start off just just getting used to fur. make a plane or sphere (maybe around the same size as your char) and apply some fur and try to get it looking as best you can before attempting a full character.

That tiger tut that Panupat posed it a really good start.

Maybe have a look at these too:

http://www.djx.com.au/blog/2008/06/...with-mentalray/

http://kiryha.blogspot.com.au/2010/...mental-ray.html

Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks guys but

i used mental ray with puppet p-hairtk watching many tutorials and also other method but still it wasn't that good and after that i post it here two months before and i got many information and one of the guy "lazzhar" render my character
here

\
after that i tweak a little bit and the result was

if you see it still not looking good or should i say it is not good.
but when i watch coca cola polar bear and it looks so cute and awesome

and if you guys watch this., i am very sure that you guys will come up with some idea that help me out.
moving on
so after two months (and watch this cute bears) i thought why don't i try this again and this time i just use maya rendering software and shave and haircut with no light just few shave haircut setting and the result is above. right now i increase fur count and render it.
now it looks like this.

with close look

i watch polar bear with high quality and ( above) its ...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

snow look

so its like i should try something that doesn't involve fur just shader , lights or something else because these bears fur only looks in the corner and front you can't see fur just snow color.

without fur

Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

I not a fur expert. But I really recommend you develop your fur on a much simple geometry first to get an initial shader and the look that you like.

And I don't think there should be fur on the nose.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
faultymoose
Know-it-All

portfolio
Boon Cotter
Lighting & Rendering
Sydney, Australia

Re: the Coca-Cola bears, their fur looks fine, thick and 'fluffy' (you can't see underlying mesh) as opposed to your example which is comparatively coarse and sparse. This is one of the first things that stand out between examples.

Additionally, a lot of the visual quality of the Coca-Cola bear fur is in the lighting of the shot. There doesn't seem to be any self shadowing on the fur roots, and the lighting is soft and driven by a heavily ambient HDRI (or something achieving the same effect) where your example is using harsh direct light.

I don't know if Animal Logic have released any making-of material, but you should try hunting some down if it's available.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

I believe the there was a Coke commercial done with 3Delight and Softimage:

Of course there is a Maya version

http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php?page=3DFM_overview

http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/...pic.php?id=3401

A free version uses just 2 render cores but is fully functional.

And this film too:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/ted-the-bear-facts/

Quote:
For example, Iloura VFX supe Glenn Melenhurst explains his studio’s approach: “We’d use V-Ray to light a ‘nude’ bear and get all the lovely shading and elements and then propagate that solve up through the hair in 3Delight so it got the same GI feel. Then on top of that was all the direct lights on the hair shader itself – back scattering and specularity.”

Just tome things to look into.

Last edited by cineartist : 01-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
mohitsherman
portfolio
Mohit Sherman
Character FX Artist
New Delhi, India

Hey,

The Commercial you are talking about is done by Animallogic which don't use 3delight they use Mayaman which is also renderman compliant renderer similar to 3delight.

I have also gone through your earlier threads related to Fur and I would say not only you need to groom your Fur in a better way but also you need to make some improvements in your model too.

If you are using Maya Fur pay more attention to it's UV's as maya Fur is UV dependent.
and if you are using 3rd party software like shave and hair UV's are not much of an Issue.

Quality and Look/ feel of the fur also depend on the shader,P_Hair TK is a nice Fur shader which is quite similar to the Fur shader provided by mental core and it has been used in some movies too ,It provides best result with Mental Ray. Just to gives you headsup that shave and Hair is ram hungry so if you don't have enough ram it might crash quite often.

Lighting plays an important role and if you are using GI/Final gather for rendering just be aware that you need to optimise your Fur/render settings first in order to avoide huge rendertimes.

MY REEL

Last edited by mohitsherman : 01-28-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Just to clarify the one I am referring to is 3Delight. That screen grab there is from the 3Delight Website.

There have been lots of Coke commercials with bears. It is similar to the one referenced here, just offering an option.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
kiryha
Expert

portfolio
Kiryha Krysko
3D artist
Ukraine

Send a message via ICQ to kiryha
You should realize, that in general you have complex task which is consist of 2 parts: creating fur and rendering fur.
So, focus first on creating good looking fur, than try to render it.
What i see:
1) you need proper hair direction over all body. For example, it hanging from the eyebrows(on one of closeup pics) and its wrong and it will looks bad no matter how awesome you shaders and lighting are.
2) You need proper length all over the body- some parts has very short fur, some- quite long.
3) Than you can add randomness to many fur attributes to bring life to it and make it looks beliveble and interesting.

And, how mohitsherman sad, sure you need good model first of all. Now the model itself quite low quality.

Only after getting some good results from above you can think about rendering it in a better way.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

thanks for the answers

i am using shave and haircut with maya rendering and there is no light and its just a basic mesh with proper uv's (no overlapping).
thanks guys for the links and yes 3dlight (renderman) vray and mental ray done a pretty good job with fur rendering and there is a tutorial of mental ray which is done quite well to.

but
what i am trying to do here is rendering fur (shave and haircut) with maya rendering software. rendering just a sphere and see if its render like one of these cute bears fur.

sorry guys if its not making any sense.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
gregjenings
Frequenter
portfolio
greg
CA, USA

Dear sherkhannabi,

I think you misunderstood everybody who are trying to help you here,If it is about the rendering fur on a sphere then why you have images of your model, may be everyone misunderstood you.

Well showing fur render without lighting is not the right way for asking suggestions/solutions for it's rendering,you should start with proper lighting and if you are not comfortable in lighting then please learn that.

Start everything step by step if you really want to learn and please don't blame others for not understanding you.
Go through the help of shave and Hair it is short and self explanatory and if you face any issue then please come forward with that particular issue ,I think people here are most generous to help you considering the number of replies you already received .

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
sherkhannabi
Frequenter

portfolio
shani zee
nash
karachi, PA

you are absolutely right. when i was posting last one i thought i should post this on the first place (sorry for that) and yeah i totally waste everybuddy time. i only focus on my title and when "Cyberone" reply me to " first try on sphere or plane" then i realize that's what i really want because in this way everybody will be focus only on fur.
about lighting.
i watched digitaltutors tutorial of lighting but when i use light on my scene (every scene) everything get dark and bad.

(edit)
now it looks little but still so far from cute bears.

watch it. just for smile.
https://vimeo.com/54943111

Last edited by sherkhannabi : 01-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread