Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Renderfarm Speed Claims - your exp?

Just read the below on foxrender farm... can anyone say what their experience has been on any of these 3?

I don't want to unduly cast aspersions, but its known there is a lot a piracy in China, so is a Chinese renderfarm a safe choice? In fact are any of them, as all seem render with you sending source Maya/Max scenes?

Do those cost calculators really approximate the "final actual" costs? Or am I in for a some post render sticker shock?

I'm looking for experiences and advise from people that have actually used any of them.

MTIA

--- this was on foxrender farm blog.

I tested my bedroom12vfb_off_new.max file twice at three render farms. At RebusFarm, the rendering time is 1128.25 and 1096.25 seconds, while at Render Rocket, it is 778 and 772 seconds and at Fox Renderfarm, itís 458.4 and 456.4 seconds. This is crazy. RebusFarm has the same hardware specification with Fox Renderfarm. Even though the rendering time would not be the same, it should not have been so different from each other! It is normal for Render Rocket since it is using 8-core CPU. Of course I did not inquire RebusFarm why there was such a huge difference. Maybe I should.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I found REBUS to be the most reliable, easiest to use farm out there. Their customer service is top notch.

Hell, as I type this I'm uploading a render to them.

They aren't the cheapest, or possible the fastest, but they are stable and provide an exceptional service.

The calculator on their homepage gives a pretty good estimate with regards to render time and cost. Honestly, I've never gone beyond their lowest speed option, but Im sure with more money you could up the speed. Im not sure if the other farms also have that option?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Laserschwert
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
I've never gone beyond their lowest speed option, but Im sure with more money you could up the speed.
You should know that rendering at the Business and Premium levels does NOT speed up rendering. It just gives your renderjobs a higher priority in the queue. Once rendering starts, the speed of all pricing levels is the same.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
QuakeMarine1
PRO

REBUSfarm here

prior do not speed up the render itself - it start to render sooner in case the farm is full of jobs
noone need to use a higher prior since EACH job I am send start immidently or within minutes
in very rare cases the farm is full and prior make sense

many points in the Fox Blog are missunderstood
if you can send a job to Rebus via Farminizer we gurantee correct render result
its impossible to have wrong result from the technical side
if you have a xref inside a xref with textures Farminizer can not detect it due to SDK limitations of 3dsmax
SP2 need to be installed to update importent SDK features and fix bugs in max script
I could explain more points mention in the blog but it goes to much in detail
long story short:
all limits can be workaround by user and gurantee a correct render at Rebus

rendertime
I found the job mention abouve in my database
job started
28.11.2012, 04:17:42
job finished
28.11.2012, 04:27:47
= 10min and 5 sec = 605 seconds
this include application start, scene loading, preparation of scene and renderer and finaly render itself
the info about rendertime in the blog IS A LIE !!
if you compare pure rendertime we have the same time Fox have.

btw
the blog post at Fox not say a word about the costs - guess why
furthermore and not surpricing
WHO did the test?
"Iím a freelance 3d artist" could be Santa Clause or Spiderman
no name no mail no details
the user who send the job had a chinese IP address - make your own mind

andre
CEO of Rebusfarm

Last edited by QuakeMarine1 : 12-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Correct me if i am wrong but all of these farms use ALL of the machines for every job - ie they dont split the farm up in groups high/low priority?

How long do the source files stay on there? Does anyone else get to access them? Do I delete them when the job is done?

What happens if I use plugins, do i have to notify them, do i have to ship those? Is that allowed?

I know these all sound a but noob, but I am when it comes to this. So again tia.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
QuakeMarine1
PRO

in case 50% of farm is avaliable your get all free render nodes to your job
if the working render nodes finish they start on your job aswell so in theory you can have all the farm working for you

it not make sense to use all the farm for one job
what if your job is only 5 frames? should i use 850 pc to render it? no - its best to use only 5 pc - one frame each
all other free pc go to the next job and that job need maybe 300 pc - still 500 pc free waiting for jobs

if nothing new happen to your user folder for 5 days all folder get removed aswell if you delete a job from Rebus manager - noone but our admin can access your files

Farminizer test your scene about used plugins
I already have all most used plugs installed
if one is missing we need to see what we can do - free ware plugs can be installed in 2 min normaly

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread