Mray No flicker Final Gather/GI for fully animated characters with camera animation?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Mray No flicker Final Gather/GI for fully animated characters with camera animation?

Title says it all!

I've found a thousand tutorials for flicker free animation methods for fly-thru camera only animation but not one of any value for scenes involving characters that touch other characters and backgrounds/props.

"Rebuild On" is a must is the only piece of info I gathered.

Greatly appreciate any info!

03 March 2013
subscribed. I need to know this too. Astonishing how hard it is to find good info on the subject anywhere on the internet (that isn't for Max)

03 March 2013
Do a CGTalk search for FGShooter (.mel)

Cheers,
G!

04 April 2013
File/Send to Softimage....

Joking aside, you'll find this tutorial helpful:

http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutori...-Gather-in-Maya

I think there is a free trial period. It does go into the multi-camera trick.

The reason is for some cockeyed reason there is no brute force setting in Maya like there is for instance in Softimage . In Softimage there is an Exact setting which is useful otherwise you will be on the constant search for a way to tame flicker.

This guide will be a very helpful read. Even though it is for LightWave it gives you a very solid understanding of what is happening with interpolation.

http://www.except.nl/lightwave/Radi...ide96/index.htm

04 April 2013
The fgshooter shader and digital tutor lessons i've used and watched... but they're not efficient for full character animation. It seems final gather must be calculated for each additional camera you plan to use. Slow.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 04 April 2013 at 06:11 AM.

04 April 2013
So nobody has any production experience with this?

04 April 2013
There is lots of production experience with this. If you are like me you have searched the internet and followed the same threads that lead to dead ends or convoluted sounding solutions that usually are limited in terms of boxing you into a lighting corner or don't work. Or require composting as a workaround.

Usually when people have pointed to flicker free solutions in Maya, to me they just look like over-lit crap.

The bottom line is you don't have control over flicker in the settings for FG in Mental Ray for Maya. It is just how he states it in that DT tutorial. The solutions in that tutorial are all that there is for Mental Ray in Maya.

Which is why the camera trick is the thing. Slow or not. Rendering flicker free in any app is slow. That is just how it is.

The other options are to use 3P rendering solutions starting with 3Delight - free with 2 cores, Final Render, Vray of course, Maxwell and so on.

That's how I understand it which is why I jokingly said the answer is File/Send to Softimage. Really. That's it. You can render flicker free in Mental Ray with Softimage for a price - render time.

The reason you are not getting answers is because you already got all there is.

If I am wrong, I am glad to be pointed just as you, to the solution. But, I think you know now why so many people use Vray or other 3P solutions for Maya.

I hand you this advice that comes from a year or more of testing, research and study on this very subject. I can give you more specifics on each solution if you would like.

Also, as you, I am open to ideas. But I have not found any in a year of searching.

Last edited by cineartist : 04 April 2013 at 06:36 AM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by egglybagelface: The fgshooter shader and digital tutor lessons i've used and watched... but they're not efficient for full character animation. It seems final gather must be calculated for each additional camera you plan to use. Slow.

Not (completely) true, it calculates from each angle but uses the same screen projection space. So for example: if before you were calculating 1920 x 1080, then you are still calculating based on the same number of pixels but SHARING that space (not multiplying) with other viewpoint.

Originally Posted by cineartist: EDIT: Oh... right I know about that one. Did not realize it included the force setting though. And it is not compatible with 2013.5

Force setting has been available in Maya for some time, you can choose it under the Final Gather menu as "no caching"

The UI from the Google Code page does not work in 2013.5 (SAP) because of how they changed localization mel. Probably will skip that and move to 2014 if there's a need. (It DOES work in 2013 SP2 however.)

Originally Posted by cineartist: But all of that aside the native ibl might very well be the answer. And I'd like to find out how to access the brute force in Maya with strings since the script wont work until it is updated for 2014.

Native IBL is probably your best bet. PLEASE add the option for Light Relative Scale to your scene or legacy materials will be too bright. This is a bridge to newer lighting. You can use this with older materials with this setting without having to migrate shaders.

Again, look for the Non caching option in the Maya UI (the standard UI that comes with Maya) that is the "force" technique. This has been in the Maya UI for a few years now but poorly named perhaps.

Originally Posted by zaskar: 2. tweak Final Gather: progressive passes. Until maya2013 this option is only available using the enhanced UI.

Unless something has changed, that does not work in Maya. The translator overrides that string when exported. It's useful and works in Standalone. It's something Autodesk should include in Maya soon we hope.

Originally Posted by zaskar: 6. also important: the color source wich you use for the environment. An image with much variety in brightnes will create much noise in your scene and thus flickering. If you really need a hdr image for the env lighting, apply some (better: heavy) blur onto it to reduce the fg grain.

Correct, but unnecessary with Native IBL (Environment Lighting Mode)

Native IBL operates as DIRECT illumination from a smart area light. You should get better results with this. Final Gather will then ignore the environment light (already handled by the IBL) and instead only provide indirect lighting, object to object. You can see this effect in the Indirect Pass of your render.

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...ve-builtin-ibl/

Last edited by Bitter : 04 April 2013 at 04:07 AM.

Thread Closed share thread