Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
andyman121
Veteran
portfolio
Andrew Brownridge
Manchester, United Kingdom

Writing returned values to plot a graph

Hi there,

I have a script which returns Euler angles of a specific joint at the frame which the script is run at. What I am wanting to do is run this script throughout the animation to plot the returned Euler angles for every frame over time.

Code:
import maya.cmds as cmd from vectors import Matrix localHips = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:Hips.matrix' ) ) localUpLeg = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightUpLeg.matrix' ) ) localLeg = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightLeg.matrix' ) ) localFoot = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightFoot.matrix' ) ) localHeel = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightFootHeel.matrix' ) ) localEnd = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightFootHeel_End.matrix' ) ) worldHips = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:Hips.worldMatrix' ) ) worldUpLeg = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightUpLeg.worldMatrix' ) ) worldLeg = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightLeg.worldMatrix' ) ) worldFoot = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightFoot.worldMatrix' ) ) worldHeel = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightFootHeel.worldMatrix' ) ) worldEnd = Matrix( cmd.getAttr( 'BVH:RightFootHeel_End.worldMatrix' ) ) eulerXYZ = localFoot.ToEulerXYZ( degrees=True ) print eulerXYZ

This is the script, which returns
[8.089659570923553 -7.1246470579741645 0.30448006832249608]

How might I go about plotting these angles (or 1 of these angles e.g. rotateZ) over say 160 frames? Perhaps write them to an xml file or something?

Cheers,

Andy

Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
palohman
Frequenter
portfolio
Paul Lohman
Tech Artist
EA
Orlando, USA

just in case you're an engineer and not an animator or possibly don't know maya very well I'll get this out of the way;
There's already a built-in UI for that, called the graph editor, shows a plotted curve of selected nodes animated attributes over time, attributes like rotation.

If you just said "no shit, I want something else that the graph editor doesn't do", then;
yes you could write the data to a text file, cvs, xml, etc, see python docs on Input and Output.
Incidentally you could also just query the graph editor for this info all at once instead of getting it one tick at a time.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
andyman121
Veteran
portfolio
Andrew Brownridge
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi palohman, thanks for replying.

Yes I'm familiar with Maya and the graph editor. The trouble with this for what I want is that it only plots the values which are displayed in the channel box/attribute editor.

What I am wanting to plot is something which isn't in there. I have a script which computes the Euler angles by decomposing the transformation matrix of a given node - in this case, the ankle joint of a character. The script however calculates this for the frame that it is run, and what I want is for each frame of the animation to be calculated and the results written to a text file (ideally xml) so that I can use the results to plot a graph.

I would presume the code given in the previous post (or at least the last line of it) needs putting into a loop so that it runs for each frame of the animation and writes this to a text file. The problem is I'm no programmer by any stretch of the imagination and don't have a clue how to go about this.

Hope that makes sense, and somebody will be able to help me out

Andy

Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
palohman
Frequenter
portfolio
Paul Lohman
Tech Artist
EA
Orlando, USA

Code:
myFile = filePath+fileName f = open(myFile ,'a') for i in range(startTime,endTime): cmds.currentTime(i) # sets the time to that frame info = getSomeInfo() f.write(info) f.close()

if you want to use the playback range to define the start/end time
Code:
startTime = int( cmds.playbackOptions( q=True, minTime=True ) ) endTime = int( cmds.playbackOptions( q=True, maxTime=True ) )

Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread