Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #31
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMD
Wow, alright, have to say that this has turned out to be way over my head...

sorry about that man, I didn't mean to hi-jack to off-topic.

I think cgbeige has solid advice there for you.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
MDMD
portfolio

No problem, just go ahead. Next challenge will be to find a bad-ass port. workstation.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #33
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

I think most of my problems are because the machine was cloned and not installed from scratch. The tech guy did the job in less than 2 hours (all softwares, bootcamp and windows included). I have 5 coworkers working on mac pro beside me and they have less trouble. Still It doesnt excuse the old gpu and lack of usb 3.0 in a 2013 machine.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
parallax
set of car keys

M
piece of furniture
Marshall Islands

This is the first time in the history of the interwebs that an actual topic that has the words 'PC' and 'Mac' in the title doesn't resort to a allout flamewar. As a matter of fact it got amazingly technical.

As for switching, i'd agree with cgbeige. Don't bother, your whole pipeline & asset library is built on a different platform. There are mostly downsides in your case.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

I agree with CGB and the others regarding your pipeline and making big changes. Not always the best idea, if things are working then keep them working!

Over the years these folks have also helped me to lose various software/branding biases, too. That said, I wouldn't say Win7 is "broken" for multitasking, it's just a pain in the butt out of the box. Stock Win7 with Maya/mental ray behaves as everyone says - multitasking is sluggish and obnoxious, even on a brand new high-end system.

Since the XP days however, I've used various process management programs to whip things into shape. Currently in Win7 I use ProcessLasso, which is the best one I've found to control your processes and their threading. You can set Default Priority, Default Affinity, I/O priority, Power Profiles, and much more on a per-process basis. It also monitors and adjusts for responsiveness. Using this program, I set Maya to "Low Priority" but enable ProBalance and Dynamic Thread Boost, and this usually does the trick to keep all cores saturated but everything else responsive. One can also enable Foreground Boost if need be to get things even more snappy.

With this method, rendertimes decrease nearly 20% over default behavior in Win7, and responsiveness is maintained. As others have said, it's not that Windows is making your hardware slower, it's simply configured out of the box to actually hammer all those cores and leave no room to breathe. Process Lasso gives you that breathing room, problem solved. It's pretty much a big-kid version of Task Manager, and perhaps the Win7 people should have given us more options with TaskMan to begin with?

I can't speak for Windows 8 though, and will be skipping that steampile until Microsoft "gets it together."

Edit: So, to sum up, the Mac and Linux folks got their process-management proper out of the box, and the Win7 folks didn't. They assumed everyone would WANT their computer to behave sluggishly under load, which was a pretty bad assumption. I blame my father!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Last edited by InfernalDarkness : 12-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread