Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
GerryG
portfolio
Gherardo Nitrici
London,

colorAtPoint for fluid emission rate

Hello guys,
i'm quite new to MEL, but i'm trying my best (not too much luck at the moment) to get the emission rate of my fluid be driven by an expression:
I'm trying to emit a random value (fluidEmitter1.rate = rand(150,250) when the UV values on my surface are higher than 0, I can't really get how to calculate the UV values using the colorAtPoint, can someone help please?
This is the idea i came up, obviously not working!

if (float $tempA[] = 'colorAtPoint -o RGB -u 0.0 -v 0.0 checker_1)
fluidEmitter1.rate = rand(150,200);
}else{
fluidEmitter1.rate = 0;
{

cheers!
G

Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
ogbonna
Veteran
portfolio
Nathaniel Anozie
Baltimore, USA

You're on the right track!
`colorAtPoint -o RGB -u 0.0 -v 0.0 checker_1` should give back 3 numbers the R, G, and B at U,V point (0,0).

So maybe add some if's
float $R,$G,$B;
$R = $tempA[0];
$G = $tempA[1];
$B = $tempA[2];

if ($R > 0.0) && ($G > 0.0) && ($B > 0.0)
{
//do something
}
else{
//do something else
}

All this was for a single u,v point so maybe iterate over a whole bunch. Also it may be faster to use something like python with openMaya to speed some stuff up.

Hope this is helpful.
cheers,
-Nate

Old 10-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
GerryG
portfolio
Gherardo Nitrici
London,

Hello Nate,
thanks for the tip! I kept on working and eventually came up with this in the last few days:

int $numUVs[] = `polyEvaluate -uv pSphere1`;
float $tempRGB[] = `colorAtPoint -o RGB -u 439 -v 439 noise2`;
fluidEmitter2.fluidDensityEmission = $tempRGB[1]*time;

I now need to work more on the if statement (haven't applied it yet to my expression), also i need to calculate now the RGB for every point, would you have any idea how? and maybe carry on with my expression

if ($tempRGB > 0) && ($tempRGB < 0.6)
{
//do something
}
else{
//do something else
}

would that work? I'll give it a go today anyways I'll keep on trying what you suggested as well as soon as i have time!

Cheers!
Gerry

Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
ogbonna
Veteran
portfolio
Nathaniel Anozie
Baltimore, USA

Hi,
i think since this is an array $tempRGB, would need to pick one of its 3 elements (the R,G,B)
so maybe if wanted to check Red use $tempRGB[0] to check blue $tempRGB[1] ...

for the "calculate now the RGB for every point" i think could loop over the vertices of the sphere and from that vertex get the uv from the texture using something like: polyListComponentConversion -fromVertex -tuv pShere1.vtx[1] which gives back something like pSphere1.map[2] which can be thrown into the colorAtPoint to get the RGB. (again using mel will probably be really slow doing this stuff, you may want to look into c++ and python using openmaya) here some mel stuff anyway:
http://nathananozie.blogspot.com/20...polygon-uv.html

(for the if statement check out the braces syntax i think would need a brace for the outside of them)

cheers!
-Nate

Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
GerryG
portfolio
Gherardo Nitrici
London,

Thanks Nate!
it is more or less working, your tip using polyListComponentConversion come very helpful!
this is where I am at the moment, but what i dont get is why Maya comes back saying
"// Error: line 4: Error while parsing arguments. // "
this is the script:
string $vertex[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fv -tv pSphere1`;
$i = `polyListComponentConversion -fv -tuv $vertex`;
float $coordUV[] = `polyEditUV -q -uValue -vValue $i`;
float $tempRGB[] = `colorAtPoint -u("$coordUV[0:878]") -v("$coordUV[0:878]") noise2`;
$rgb = $tempRGB[1];

Thanks Again

Gerry

Old 10-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
ogbonna
Veteran
portfolio
Nathaniel Anozie
Baltimore, USA

Nice Work! I just made a couple of tweaks. I think the parse error had to do with Maya wanting a single item but getting multiple things ... Its helpful to write print lines to see whether have lots of things or one thing , or nothing ...

Code:
select -r `polyListComponentConversion -tv pSphere1`; //new line string $vertexAll[] = `filterExpand -ex true -sm 31`; //new line string $vertex = $vertexAll[0]; //new line … could use a variable for the 0 to loop over all verts .. for vertex in vertexAll string $all_i[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fv -tuv $vertex`; //Edited this line $i = $all_i[0]; //Edit line … because could get multiple uvs for a single vertex here its using just the first uv you may want to change this for i in all_i float $coordUV[] = `polyEditUV -q -uValue -vValue $i`; float $tempRGB[] = `colorAtPoint -u $coordUV[0] -v $coordUV[1] -o "RGB" noise2`; //Edited this line $r = $tempRGB[0]; //Edited line $g = $tempRGB[1]; //Edited line $b = $tempRGB[2]; //Edited line $rgb = {$r,$g,$b}; //Edited this line

Hope this is helpful.

Below is some rough python that might be helpful. There are probably much faster ways of doing this using python and open maya or using c++. Also i'm not sure how to efficiently loop over vertices with multiple .maps for the same vertex.

Code:
#Python import maya.cmds as cmds cmds.select( cmds.polyListComponentConversion('pSphere1', tv = True) , replace = True) #new line vertexAll = cmds.filterExpand( ex = True, sm = 31) #new line vertex = vertexAll[0] #new line … could use a variable for the 0 to loop over all verts .. for vertex in vertexAll all_i = cmds.polyListComponentConversion( vertex, fv = True, tuv = True ) #Edited this line i = all_i[0] #new line … because could get multiple uvs for a single vertex here its using just the first uv you may want to change this for i in all_i coordUV = cmds.polyEditUV( i, q = True, uValue = True, vValue = True ) tempRGB = cmds.colorAtPoint( 'noise2', u = coordUV[0], v = coordUV[1], o = 'RGB' ) #Edited this line r = tempRGB[0] #Edited line g = tempRGB[1] #Edited line b = tempRGB[2] #Edited line rgb = [r,g,b] #Edited this line

Cheers!
-Nate

Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
GerryG
portfolio
Gherardo Nitrici
London,

Hey Nate!
I gave a look at your script mixed with mine and works very well! but again it get stucked just on one vertex... I'll keep on trying and get back to you soon! Also when i declare a loop for the number of coords in the map it doesnt like it :(

Cheers again for all the help!

GerryG

Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
GerryG
portfolio
Gherardo Nitrici
London,

The only way i could find was to insert the exact coords of a vertex for instance, like this one!

string $vertex[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fv -tv pSphere1`;
string $i[0] = `polyListComponentConversion -fv -tuv $vertex`;
float $coordUV[] = `polyEditUV -q -uValue -vValue $i`;
float $tempRGB[] = `colorAtPoint -o RGB -u 0 - v 0.666016 -u 1 -v 0.666016 noise1`;
and yes it came back with the rub, now shall i just put in all the coords manually? is going to be long but i can do it :P
also could you guess any way to link my rgbs with the right vertex? maybe i can use the polylistcomponentconversion you posted me in your blog (http://nathananozie.blogspot.co.uk/...polygon-uv.html)?

Thanks!

GerryG

Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
ogbonna
Veteran
portfolio
Nathaniel Anozie
Baltimore, USA

Hi,

I don't think you want to enter the values in manually.

Regarding how to associate rgb to vertex: I think the idea using the polyListComponentConversion is to change the vertex into uvs that vertex is linked to (it could be no uvs if vertex is not uv mapped, it could be more than one if the way the uv edges were sewn were not merged …). Then using polyEditUV and colorAtPoint the rgb's associated with one of the uvs linked to the vertex are figured out.

I added a couple of comments to the code I posted earlier and at the bottom I put in some ideas for looping. Hope its helpful.
Cheers,
-Nate

Code:
//This line is selecting all the vertices of a sphere select -r `polyListComponentConversion -tv pSphere1`; //new line //This line is making the list of vertices be in expanded form vertex1name, vertex2name … instead ofvertex1:vertexN … string $vertexAll[] = `filterExpand -ex true -sm 31`; //new line ////////START //This line stores the first vertex as indicated by [0] to get second vertex use vertexAll[1] ... string $vertex = $vertexAll[0]; //This line is trying to get the uv map(s) linked to vertex, sometimes it could be 1 or 2 or 0 if no uv map or some other number. Depending on how uv edges were sewn… string $all_i[] = `polyListComponentConversion -fv -tuv $vertex`; //This line assumes we only care about the first uv(map)… it would bug out if there were no uv maps linked to the vertex so checking size(all_i) > 0 would be helpful $i = $all_i[0]; //Edit line … because could get multiple uvs for a single vertex here its using just the first uv you may want to change this for i in all_i //This line gets the U, V coordinates for a single UV(map) here were using the first uv linked to the first vertex of the sphere float $coordUV[] = `polyEditUV -q -uValue -vValue $i`; //This line gets the Red, Green and Blue channels for a single UV(map) associated with the texture noise2 float $tempRGB[] = `colorAtPoint -u $coordUV[0] -v $coordUV[1] -o "RGB" noise2`; //These lines just store the R,G,B separately could use a vector to store it $r = $tempRGB[0]; //Edited line $g = $tempRGB[1]; //Edited line $b = $tempRGB[2]; //Edited line $rgb = {$r,$g,$b}; //Edited this line //////////END

Code:
///////To loop over all vertices of sphere could do something like this with the code above select -r `polyListComponentConversion -tv pSphere1`; //new line string $vertexAll[] = `filterExpand -ex true -sm 31`; //new line for($j = 0; $j < size($vertexAll); $j++ ){ //put in all the code between.. START .. and END changing the line string $vertex = $vertexAll[0]; into string $vertex = $vertexAll[$j]; //also could save out all the r,g,b(s) for this single vertex so don't lose it. It might be a little tricky doing this in MEL because //each vertex may have different numbers of r,g,b(s) associated with it }

Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
GerryG
portfolio
Gherardo Nitrici
London,

Hey Nate!
Thanks as always! i'm quite happy! I got up to more or less where i wanted! i have an array that has inside all my RGBs (i'm using a greyscale so R=G=B)! I wanted to share it with you!
string $vtxs = `select -r pPlane1.vtx[0:224]` ;
string $allVerts[] = `ls -sl -fl`;
string $item;
for ($item in $allVerts)
{
vector $p = `pointPosition -w $item`;
float $uv[2] = ` nearestPointOnMesh -ip ($p.x) ($p.y) ($p.z) -q -u -v "pPlane1"`;
float $c[3] = `colorAtPoint -o RGB -u ($uv[0]) -v ($uv[1]) "checker1"`;
setFluidAttr -at "density" ($c[0]) fluidEmitter1;
};
I now ned to fix the setFluidAttr as is not working.. i need to look a bit more inside you suggestions from last time!
What do you think up to now? how does it look to you?
Thanks again

GerryG

Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
ogbonna
Veteran
portfolio
Nathaniel Anozie
Baltimore, USA

Looks Great, Nice Work!
-Nate

Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread