CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #526
eskalipsi
New Member
portfolio
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Hi I'm fairly new to the site. And I'm definitely interested in taking the workshop.

I have a question about enrollment. Will you be still open after October 1?

I may be able to register to the workshop on perhaps October 2 or 3.
 
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #527
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskalipsi
Hi I'm fairly new to the site. And I'm definitely interested in taking the workshop.

I have a question about enrollment. Will you be still open after October 1?

I may be able to register to the workshop on perhaps October 2 or 3.


We usually keep enrollment open during the first week of the workshop, so you can definitely still join us even if you're a few days late.
 
Old 08-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #528
LRaphaelC
New Member
CGSociety Member
portfolio
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Hi there, I'm a UK artist currently on my gap year before I go to university (where I want to study illustration), I;m very interested in taking your course as it seems exactly what I need to improve my abilities, however, due to the time difference in the UK what time during the week does the course take place? I dont mind having to stay up all night (thats when most of my art gets made anyway), but its something I need to consider just due to work commitments. Thanks.
 
Old 08-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #529
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRaphaelC
Hi there, I'm a UK artist currently on my gap year before I go to university (where I want to study illustration), I;m very interested in taking your course as it seems exactly what I need to improve my abilities, however, due to the time difference in the UK what time during the week does the course take place? I dont mind having to stay up all night (thats when most of my art gets made anyway), but its something I need to consider just due to work commitments. Thanks.


All interaction is done through the forum, so there's no time difference issue. For students that want real-time interaction, they can request real-time sessions, but to date, after seeing how astoundingly comprehensive and epic the course material is (lecture notes, images, videos, forum discussions, critiques), not a single student has felt like they needed real-time interaction.
 
Old 12-01-2015, 02:28 AM   #530
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Becoming a Better Artist workshop (for January 2016) has a big sale going on right now with $100 discount. Better hurry and enroll before it ends: http://training.cgsociety.org/cours...a-better-artist
 
Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #531
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Enrollment for the next run (March 2016) of the Becoming a Better Artist workshop has begun! http://training.cgsociety.org/cours...a-better-artist
 
Old 03-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #532
derekjackson
Frequenter
 
derekjackson's Avatar
CGSociety Member
portfolio
Derek Jackson
Visualisation Artist
LSI Architects
Norwich, GB
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 192
Hi, the workshop sounds fantastic - exactly what I need to rid myself of several bad habits! Just a couple of queries.

Firstly, my wife is due to give birth to our second child about 3 weeks before the next class (April 2016) begins. Are you planning on running another class towards the summer (which would suit my personal time better), or does the 'no time limit' approach to this course mean that I could join the April class and get involved when I find the time between nappy changes?!

Secondly, I work in arch vis and have never once been required to illustrate a character. The course description sounds like it majors on characters. I assume I'll still find it all useful?!

Thanks
 
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #533
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjackson
Hi, the workshop sounds fantastic - exactly what I need to rid myself of several bad habits! Just a couple of queries.

Firstly, my wife is due to give birth to our second child about 3 weeks before the next class (April 2016) begins. Are you planning on running another class towards the summer (which would suit my personal time better), or does the 'no time limit' approach to this course mean that I could join the April class and get involved when I find the time between nappy changes?!

Secondly, I work in arch vis and have never once been required to illustrate a character. The course description sounds like it majors on characters. I assume I'll still find it all useful?!

Thanks

There are no deadlines for the workshop or the assignments, so once you enroll, you can take as long as you need to read the lecture notes, watch the videos, and do the assignments. Some students ran into unexpected changes in their lives during the workshop, such as suddenly losing their jobs, death of a loved one, becoming ill, moving to another country, etc., and they took as much time off as they needed and resumed at their own pace--sometimes even many months or even years later. And I still help them with their questions and give them critiques on their assignments.

And no, the workshop is not only focused on characters. It teaches all of the critical foundations of visual art. Characters are simply an important part of the foundation, but there is so much more than just characters.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #534
harphie
New Member
portfolio
Phie Summers
Singapore
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Inquiry

I am interested in this class. I really love art but a lot of times I feel constricted, like I don't know what next step to take in order to finish a quality piece and make its message and emotion come across due to getting bored quite easily in the process (from lineart to a finished colored piece would take me 2-8 hours). My interests are also on perspective/environment design and digital painting.

I have some basic questions if you don't mind answering.
Does this class teach some coloring and perspective techniques in Photoshop?
How are the classes conducted, like is there a video in the first part of the session? What time do we have to meet online (I am from Asia)? As it says the start date is April 4, what is the typical week's timeline? Like how many hours is a lesson conducted and when is the general time we must submit our homeworks for critique? Will we also have critiques and advice per week so that we may improve better? And lastly, is it possible to see any of your students' works in order to see their improvements from before and after taking the class?

Thank you. I hope for a kind response to my inquiries.
 
Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #535
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by harphie
I am interested in this class. I really love art but a lot of times I feel constricted, like I don't know what next step to take in order to finish a quality piece and make its message and emotion come across due to getting bored quite easily in the process (from lineart to a finished colored piece would take me 2-8 hours). My interests are also on perspective/environment design and digital painting.

I have some basic questions if you don't mind answering.
Does this class teach some coloring and perspective techniques in Photoshop?
How are the classes conducted, like is there a video in the first part of the session? What time do we have to meet online (I am from Asia)? As it says the start date is April 4, what is the typical week's timeline? Like how many hours is a lesson conducted and when is the general time we must submit our homeworks for critique? Will we also have critiques and advice per week so that we may improve better? And lastly, is it possible to see any of your students' works in order to see their improvements from before and after taking the class?

Thank you. I hope for a kind response to my inquiries.


Have you read the detailed outline of the workshop's week-by-week overview? If not, you can find out all the details about what will be taught during the course here: http://www.cgsociety.org/training/c...a-better-artist

The class is forum-based, and every week there are lecture notes to read and videos to watch, and then there are assignments that you do. You'll get in-depth critiques on your assignments, and answers to whatever questions you have. Since it's forum based, there's no time-zone issue. My workshop has no deadlines so you can work at your own pace (great for students who live a busy life, having to work full-time jobs, or go to school, or raising a family). You can do the course at your own pace, take however long you need, and I'll be there to answer your questions and give critiques to your assignment no matter what. I have students whose lives got derailed during the workshop and then come back a year or two later and I still help them with critiques and answer their questions.

As for my students' work, there are so many of them, and they range from total beginners to professional concept artists, lead artists, and art directors working in games and film. Based on what you said, I'm assuming you're a beginner. In the past one of my beginner students posted a thread, which contains the kind of drawings he was doing before he took the workshop, and what he did by the end of the workshop--the difference was night and day: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=166&t=880796

I have many other examples of the drastic difference between what the students were doing before the workshop and during/after the workshop--I can fill a book with all those examples. That thread is just one very simple example out of many.
 
Old 06-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #536
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer
 
Lunatique's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,699

Enrollment for the July 2016 run of Becoming a Better Artist is now open:
http://www.cgsociety.org/training/c...a-better-artist
 
Old 07-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #537
DanTheManCan
Explorer
 
DanTheManCan's Avatar
Daniel Brassard
St. Thomas, Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks Lunatique,

I have enrolled for this session, looking forward to interact with You and the class.
 
reply share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.