Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Nice! Things are really shaping up. It definitely looks more badass, and less world of warcraft now.

I'm no expert on centaurs, but I think the human spine and the horse spine are the same, and that bend you have looks pretty sharp. In most of the images I pulled up on google, it looks like they reduced that hump above the shoulders of the horse, and give the spine a more gradual transition into the human torso.

-AJ

Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #17
tibbi
Veteran

portfolio
USA

Really a great improvement. It's on it's way to being a fantastic sculpt. I have a few suggestions for tightening up the horse anatomy.

The legs could use some refinement. The upper part of the front legs have a little bit too much thickness and roundness. Also take another look at the joints. The knees could use a bit more bone and the pasterns could be shaved down some.

He could use more chest. The horse part that it. The guy has plenty

The barrel seems too thin overall. Both from the side and the top. If you can find some top down shots it will help you see how the ribs are sprung and the shape of the back muscles along the spine.

The back could be lifted up so that it makes a straighter line from the wither to the hindquarters.

The hind legs on your sculpt are longer than the front. I tried to show where the leg should be in the drawing.

Take another look at the shape of the hindquarter and those large muscle groups.

The heels of the hind feet could use a little more attention. From the back the foot should lay flush with the ground on a horse that isn't wearing shoes.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #18
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
AJ1 Thanks for the directions. Will seek out some more centaur combos and study the back. It does look sharp how I have it.

tibbi Thanks a million for the paintover, it is very clear and will make the horse more horse and the body match much better!

Back to work
Cheerio

Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Stretched the body, redid the legs, the hooves are lower at the back in reality than I have them still. The hump is gone, worked on the tail and arms. Wonder if he should have armor once the base is good?

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
tibbi
Veteran

portfolio
USA

Really coming along nicely. I like the changes you made to the hind legs and the barrel.

A little more study on the knees, pasterns and hooves will help.

The knees seem a bit short in overall length in the front. And the protruding bone at the back is a little too prominent.

The pasterns, or ankle joints, are still too bulky. There is a bulge where the bones come together but is fairly subtly. Also check for uniformity on both sides of the pastern. It shouldn't stick out on one side more than the other.

Taking a closer look at how the hoof is formed will help too. Right now he's got a deep cleft at the heel and there's no feeling of structure. Google "barefoot trimming" to find lots of good pics of horses feet form many angles. Be prepared to see some pretty deformed feet, but there are also lots of examples of healthy feet that will show you how the hoof is put together.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread