Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
onyxlee
PRO
portfolio
Onyx Lee
USA

How to fix this morph target?

Hello guys, we are working on a series of characters based on a standard character with all the morph targets set up. So I used GoZ to bring the head into Zbrush for sculpting. in order to gain better control, I accidentally generated polygroups and then split them into different sub-tools. Simply because I thought Sub-Tool is the same thing as sub object. Obviously I was wrong. When the model was ready, I merged all the subtools and brought it back to 3dsmax. The new model still has the same poly count and vertex number. But when I used it as a new morph target, it exploded the original model. I guess it's because each vertex is has a different serial number now. So max is not able to find the same vertex at the same place.

So now I have to either re-model the whole thing more carefully, or I can use the new model as a reference and drag/snap each vertex from the original model to the new one. Both ways will be very time consuming.

I tried 3dsmax's conform brush under the graphite tool, and Zbrush's zProject brush. Both of them can only move vertex in the normal direction, but doesn't know how to match vertex according to their relative position.

Is there any other way to do this, or do I have to bite the bullet?

Here I attached the file in obj, please help me out and don't abuse it.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Morph fix.zip (70.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
ezekiel66
Know-it-All

portfolio
v j
3D Artist
Germany

When the vertex order is messed up I don't think there is much you can do. Your heads are very different in shape, so I doubt that there will be any automatic solution to morph one head into the shape of the other.

The vertex order would have to be reconstructed based on topology flow somehow, I never heard of any program capable of doing that.

Always do a test export to your target application to see if everything is working ok before you put too much work into a ZBrush model. I have had this before that suddenly the vertex order was messed up and I had to do a bunch of work all over again.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread