CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
nicolekrason
portfolio
USA

Rigging and Scripting

I'm currently taking two rigging classes at school and am looking for as much information about rigging as I can get my hands on. It wouldn't hurt for animation to be with it since rigging and animation go hand in hand. I know the fundamentals of rigging, and I'm starting to learn scripting, but I still really behind where I want to be.

Thank you,

Nicole.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
gauranga108
Lord of the posts
portfolio
jake mr
makaha, US

I would highly recommend the book "the art of moving points" by Brain Tindall

http://www.hippydrome.com/Sketches.html

He has over 15 years experience working at Pixar as a rigging td. It pretty amazing that he's giving us this info.

The book is amazing. I have about 6 years rigging experience trying many different techniques and this book was just what I was looking for.

I came the conclusion before this book that rigging is a deformation issue first. That everything needs to me based around that.

Now saying that I mostly have been animating in my career. So may perspective will be different from most riggers I guess.

But really rigging is the art of moving points. Brian has taken this much further then any other education material has I think. By education material I basically talking about tutorial price points not schools like anin school etc.

Brian knows and has considered every point on his mesh, why its there, functionally and aesthetically. Look at pixars work and its clear that so much thought goes into it at every element.

Another point I'd like to make is how many "auto riggers" are out there now. Seems like every app has there version. So I this market where do riggers fit?

I think that answer is deformations. Also facial rigging. Cause no matter which app a studio uses there's a biped auto rigger. So creature rigging also would be a focus.

Anzovin is coming out with a new tool that is based off of deformations as well which looks really good.

My guess is in the future there will be a universal rigging solution kinda like alembic is for geo caching. So focusing on that my keep you ahead of the game as well. The industry is looking for open solutions more and more. Secrets are becoming a thing of the past.

I personally think there is a huge gap in character setup apps.

I'd love to see a dedicated app for character rigging that helps the artist create a high end custom rigs that can be used in other apps, again like alembic, but for rigs.

Or if I make a rig in one app I can bring it into another.

Hope that helps, best of luck.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolekrason
I'm currently taking two rigging classes at school and am looking for as much information about rigging as I can get my hands on. It wouldn't hurt for animation to be with it since rigging and animation go hand in hand. I know the fundamentals of rigging, and I'm starting to learn scripting, but I still really behind where I want to be.

Thank you,

Nicole.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking here
Is there a question in there somewhere you wanted to ask?

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread