Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
gustavopch
portfolio
Gustavo Pacheco Cardoso
Brazil

Question How to change anisotropy direction in object, not in shader

Hi,

I have a doubt and probably its easy to solve, but I tried to find a solution all the day and I couldn't. The problem is that I have an anisotropic metal shader assigned to some objects, but the anisotropy rotation is not the way I want in some of the objects. I have to change the anisotropic rotation only in some objects, but keep it in the others, so I think I can't change it directly in the material.

Any advices on how I can do this rotation of the anisotropy in each object?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Why can't you copy the shader so it's separate from the original. Then change the direction and re-assignment the new shader to those specific objects?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
gustavopch
portfolio
Gustavo Pacheco Cardoso
Brazil

I can do it. And I can also use the Anisotropic Rotation map, but I would have to paint a texture manually. I know the two ways aren't very difficult, but I thought maybe there's some attribute in each object where I can set the value to 90 degrees, or some trick I could do in the UV Texture Editor, because I know that if I use a planar projection I can define the way the anisotropy will happen depending on the axis of the projection.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
BruceCLin
Frequenter

portfolio
Bruce Lin
Radar Studios
Arlington Heights, USA

Rotate the UV.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
gustavopch
portfolio
Gustavo Pacheco Cardoso
Brazil

When I rotate the UV, I rotate also the brushed metal texture in my bump map and I shouldn't rotate it.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
BruceCLin
Frequenter

portfolio
Bruce Lin
Radar Studios
Arlington Heights, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavopch
When I rotate the UV, I rotate also the brushed metal texture in my bump map and I shouldn't rotate it.

This is how I usually do in that case. One brushed metal texture in a shader with anisotropic direction the same way as the texture. UV all the polygon with that shader to the desired angle.
If you really don't want to or can't re-texture or re-uv, I believe you will need to split the shader as other have stated.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

you can create another UV set (multiple UV's), one specifically for the anisotropic direction that you can rotate the UV's while leaving the others alone

Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

I've attached a scene with a singleSwitch utility used to change the anisotropic rotation per object. The switch was really designed for input textures so just to switch between single values(instead of textures) is less obvious. I created an expression that sets the input values on the switch(see expression1 in expression editor):
singleShadingSwitch1.input[0].inSingle = 0; // anisotropic rot for the 3 connected objects
singleShadingSwitch1.input[1].inSingle = .2;
singleShadingSwitch1.input[2].inSingle = .4;

I think it can also work to do setAttrs on these attributes, but one can more easily see and edit the values, while the attributes are not displayed in the channel box or attribute editor.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
gustavopch
portfolio
Gustavo Pacheco Cardoso
Brazil

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the answers.
I don't know a lot about expressions and nodes in Maya, but I understood a little about Duncan's approach. Next weeks I'm going to deepen my studies about these two things and probably I will completely understand the approach.
sentry66, how would I tell to the material that the second UV Set is to be used for the anisotropic rotation?

Sorry for my newbie questions and thank you all again.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread