Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
psybak
portfolio
Simon
Amberg, Germany

Exporting Alpha-Channels or Luma-Mattes right

hi guys, i have a question regarding the export of alpha-channels or luma-mattes for certain objects out of 3ds Max 2011 for After Effects CS6.

I recently started with 3Ds max and work now on my first matchmove. I'm trying to find the best workflow to get my render passes into After Effects CS6 for compositing.

Right now, i know about the opportunity to use Object-IDs which contain mattes with a certain color for every chosen object. The pass includes information of occlusion between the objects.

But i think its just a workaround because you have to color-key every object to get its matte separatly. In addition, somehow you can run into trouble regarding the edges when tweaking tolerance parameter. Also you need a color-key for every object you want to separat from the others. Not very handy regarding system-ressources.

Or is this common way to do it?

What i would like to achieve:
An opportunity to render my object-mattes like in Cinema 4D: Object-Buffers. So i have one matte for every object i gave an ID.

Does anyone know how to achieve a multipass-render (with a functionality like Object-buffers in C4D) in 3Ds max 2011?

I'm also thankful for links hinting to a solution. I searched a lot but couldn't really find what i was looking for.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

simon

Last edited by psybak : 12-08-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: text color was "cheap" ;)

Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
psybak
portfolio
Simon
Amberg, Germany

no one, really?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
hotknife
Expert

Andrew Whitney
Nottingham,

Hey there - ObjectId's in Max are set to 100% red/blue/green or a combination of the above - e.g magenta/cyan.

So rather than using colorkey which does mean you have to play with tolerances - try the method linked to below.
(This is actually a Substance tutorial but the colour theory will be the same in AE.)

Look at "Channel Mixer" in Ae and select the Monochrome switch at the bottom of the effect.
This is a start on how to create and isolate the various colours that Max creates in Ae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3GLmWoXN5I about 13:15s

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
psybak
portfolio
Simon
Amberg, Germany

Thanks a lot!

I will have a look for the video and hope that it'll answer my questions and then guide me to a solution.

Thx again!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread