CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Nevercenter Silo
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-21-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
Killed Before Opening Credits
USA

Please explain: Partial Subdivide to me...

While I'm not new to SubDivs, I'm as good as new, since it was never pleasurable modelling with them before.

I'm curious about the Partial Subdivide command. I know what it does... and I'm thinking it might be useful on something I'm woring on...

But can someone explain to me how it's traditionally used so I can better understand it's function?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
AAAron
Lord of the posts

I use it when I prepare polylines for extrusion. When I want part of the line to be round and other parts to be hard. Itīs the tool that made me accept that I canīt use bezier curves when modeling I Silo.

Last edited by AAAron : 06-21-2005 at 05:06 AM.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
FryGuy982
Monkey on Crack
Jeremy Fry
USA

It's good if you want to make an object with specific areas high in detail without adding wasted geometry to the whole mesh.

i.e. a golf club (iron). The shaft and grip don't need very much detail so it would be a waste to add more polygons where they aren't gonna be used. With that said, pending on what the club s head design is you may need a lot of polys on the clubhead, which is where partial subd comes in.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

Okay... but what if I want to subdivide further after a partial? Is that advisable or no?

Old 06-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #5
FryGuy982
Monkey on Crack
Jeremy Fry
USA

If you mean subdivide the whole mesh you'll just get a bunch of odd placed quads around your partial subd. It's really not that big of a deal, but it really depends on what you are trying to do as to weather it will help you or not.

Here's a quick example I made using a partial-d, the split tool and a sub-d. The particular example below would be good for shoulder blades or something of that sort.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful for you.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

extraordinarily helpful!!

I'm hoping I can manage some of my more tedious edge loops (damn, I can't believe I actually know what that means now! ) this way...

Old 06-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
Rabid pitbull
Canis-badis-bitus

James Schneider
Animator
Rabid pitbull Studios
Chicago, USA

Every single time i press partial subdivide i get a error. I tried creating a sphere then selecting polys and pressing partial subdivide and whammo error, program must be closed. Tried same thing with edges same result. Am I doing this wrong?

ok now it is working... wierd computer fluke I guess. This is definitly a a useful feture, but is there a way to also only partially refine the mesh? This technique adds polys fast.

Last edited by Rabid pitbull : 06-21-2005 at 05:43 PM.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread