Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  12 December 2017
Substantial C4D Update Jan 2018?

Darth Mole mentioned something in another thread that caught my attention from a recent iMac Pro demo. This thread is NOT about the iMac Pro, take those comments here

What caught my attention is this quote, from this article:

Originally Posted by Digital Arts Online: I saw an iMac Pro running Cinema 4D connected to two Sonnet eGFX Breakout Boxes, each with an AMD W9100 inside. This allowed it to work with a hugely complex model of a motorbike - imported from a complete CAD model - in a way that the iMac Pro alone wouldn't be capable of.

This requires a version of Cinema 4D (below) that will ship in early Jan and Apple to add full support for eGPUs to macOS High Sierra. This is currently in beta, and is expected to be finally released in early 2018.

Could be that they meant only a typical "free patch," that will include the typical roster of bug fixes and (otherwise) minor performance enhancements. On the other hand if it includes official support / UI inputs for eGPU (and perhaps recent enhancements to ProRender ), it could be much better than your typical "dot release" update. I typically wouldn't expect the latter mid-cycle, but anything is possible if they've been working on the integration of these features in parallel with AMD developing them.

share thread