Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
zestken
portfolio
Pravas Kumar
Hyderabad, India

Send a message via Yahoo to zestken
Maya Fractal 2d Texture Swim

Hi everyone, I'm using procedural 2d fractal which is setup really crisp and having artifact when viewed from animated camera.

Here's the demonstration of the same:-

Expectation

Reality

I've tried using convert to file texture (which is the result of the image-expectation), but the thing is that I'm not able to maintain the crisp nature of the procedural fractal when converted. I've tried resolution upto 4k but the result is not as it should.

So I'm hoping for a solution to fix the procedural texture rather than converting it to high res image.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

can you graph it out in hypershade and show us the network?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
zestken
portfolio
Pravas Kumar
Hyderabad, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
can you graph it out in hypershade and show us the network?

Hi, the setup is very simple. I've used a Lambert shader with a color map and two fractal map daisy chained into the bump map.

However the images in my previous post is of simply one of the fractal plugged into a Lambert Shader, which is then assigned to a plane.

The fractal setup is as follows

If you could please use the same value for 2d Fractal and assign to a plane. Then animate the camera over the plane. Then I guess you will have the same issue.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Ahh the sharpness. Sorry, the first time I read, your second image wasn't moving. So I thought it was a movement problem

In your fractal node, scroll down to the effects tab. Turn the filter down to 0.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
zestken
portfolio
Pravas Kumar
Hyderabad, India

Quote:
Ahh the sharpness. Sorry, the first time I read, your second image wasn't moving. So I thought it was a movement problem

In your fractal node, scroll down to the effects tab. Turn the filter down to 0.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried that before and double checked it now. But still the problem exists. :(

Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

I suppose it could be the renderer too. If you use mental ray you're going to need some higher sampler and lower filter size. I found it sharpest with software render tho.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
zestken
portfolio
Pravas Kumar
Hyderabad, India

Quote:
I suppose it could be the renderer too. If you use mental ray you're going to need some higher sampler and lower filter size. I found it sharpest with software render tho.

I've actually rendered it already in high samples and it was then I realized the issue. So I guess it could not be the renderer which could be causing this.

May be there's something with the way 2d Fractal behaves. I mean as per the manual the 2d fractal preserves the data at any level of magnification.
I've searched all over the web for last few hours and didn't found anything related. So I'm desperately looking for help as I've similar setup for other scene too.

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is irregular bump for a wall and as this 2d fractal proved worth. But I'm stuck with this unknown issue. :(

Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread