How does Cinema 4D differ from 3ds Max?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Cool How does Cinema 4D differ from 3ds Max?

Hi all,

Not doing a post to wonder which is best, but I am interested in Cinema 4D.

I have been using 3ds max for 6 years, and tried Maya once, and didn't like it much, but that is probably just me.

How difficult would it be for someone who knows 3ds max to use Cinema 4D.

One of the reasons I am asking is that some job offers sometimes ask for Cinema 4D experience as well as 3ds max.

Asimov

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Asimov: How does Cinema 4D differ from 3ds Max?

For one, it's actively beeing developed

Originally Posted by Asimov: How difficult would it be for someone who knows 3ds max to use Cinema 4D.

Not very difficult i think. You will need to get used to some fundamental differences, mostly the use of the object manager to set up your scene.
In general CINEMA 4D is comparably easy to get a grip on, with some good general 3D knowhow already present it should not be difficult for you.
You can find a lot of information in this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=47&t=167531
Just download the demo, give it a try and ask here if you have any specific questions.
Cheers
Björn

09 September 2013
Srek,

Thanks I will try the demo soon. Busy trying to learn mudbox at the moment heh heh. I was just wondering about Cinema 4D,

Years ago I am sure there was one called Cinema 3D on the Amiga. I did play with that a little.

Asimov

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Asimov: Years ago I am sure there was one called Cinema 3D on the Amiga. I did play with that a little.

Asimov

It was already Cinema 4D on the Amiga. We always had that extra dimension

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Asimov: Srek,

Thanks I will try the demo soon. Busy trying to learn mudbox at the moment heh heh. I was just wondering about Cinema 4D,

Years ago I am sure there was one called Cinema 3D on the Amiga. I did play with that a little.

Asimov

Also best demo ever.

with the demo you can easily switch between the various packages offered. (prime, broadcast, visualize, studio, etc.) to see which one best suits your needs.

Next, the demo is usable indefinitely for testing, it just lacks the ability to save...which truthfully isn't a killer when you are trying to come to grips with the interface.

Once you actually get a little familiar with the interface you can activate the demo to try it on a larger test project...and then you get 42 days of save-enabled usage.

For me this is huge.

Currently I am trying out the new release of modo...and am unfortunately close to my trial end date...and have only had the chance to open it up 3 times :/ albeit, if I was seriously thinking of a purchase I would test it a bit harder, but it is also understandable that not everyone has a clear block of time to spend trying out new software.

09 September 2013
Hi all,

Thanks for the replys.

I have been interested in Cinema 4D ever since I heard that Tobias Richter uses it to do his Star Trek models. I have been a fan of his since the Amiga days.

I am in the process of looking for a new job at the moment, but I will definately download the demo when I have a little more time.

Asimov

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread