Clay???

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2004
Clay???

I am working on a model of a church and I was wondering if anyone know's where I can find a tut. on lighting or rendering for 3d Max 6 so that my model will look like it's made of clay. My church can be found here.... You'll have to copy the link and paste it into your address bar in order to see the images. Thanks.

Ed

Last edited by FlexGiddy : 05 May 2004 at 01:42 AM.

05 May 2004
my guess is you want the GI look. the best way would be brazil rio.....thats the public trial type version. or you could spend 1200 bucks for a real copy:P

but a nice alternative is the E-light script...i've used it a lot and it works nice.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyrai...ht_settings.htm

go here for download and pics.

hope that helps.

have you seen my pants

05 May 2004
Additionally some type of clay looking shader will be required. The Oren-Nayer shader concept is traditionally the one which best emulates unglazed clay, but how you implement that in Max if it isn't already there I don't know (I'm a RenderMan person). Failing that a standard Lambertian shader isn't too far off.

Hope that helps

Andrew

05 May 2004
3ds max ships with an Oren-Nayer shader included already. In that case, you probably won't need the expensive GI calculations.

05 May 2004
I'm going to use e-light and the Oren- Nayer shader and I'll post a few of the renders tomorrow. I hope this works

Ed

05 May 2004
Okay I downloaded the e-light plugin and tryed it with an Oren-Nayer shader. If anyone can see away of improving this just let me know. The last image is only on there for the color... The shader I used is nearly white and it still rendered rather dark. So now here are the updated renders.renders

Thanks
Ed

05 May 2004
Oren Nayar shader you use looks too lambertian. There should be a parameter named as roughness or something like that to contol how the shader react.

Sorry for my
terrible English.

Sketch everyday

05 May 2004
Yeah I'm aware of the roughness seting... I messed around with it and I (for those renders) had it turned all the way up to 100. I'll mess around with it some more. Do you happen to have any suggestions on what settings would produce a nice clay quality??

Ed

Last edited by FlexGiddy : 05 May 2004 at 05:09 PM.

05 May 2004
You can also try a simple blinn surface with broad specular that is soft. To make it look like clay you might need subltle bumps or displacements.

05 May 2004
you could try inserting a skylight then go to advance lighting then insert light tracer then take the ray/sample down to 100 and put filter size up to 10 and turn off Adaptive Undersampling this gives u a sort of clay effect.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread