Normal Map issue with 90 degrees corner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Normal Map issue with 90 degrees corner

Hi all, i've a problem when i try to generate normal maps.
Basically when i've an object with 90 degrees corner (example a cube), when i try to generate some normal maps, i obtain a wrong coloration along these corners.
There is a way to avoid that or every time i've to manually fix it with photoshop?

06 June 2012
Not sure if this is the solution, but I do know that sometimes when you have edge issues it may have to do with your shading rate on your render engine. It might also have to do with unwelded vertexes or reversed normals. You might check for any one of those, though I can't say if it isn't something else entirely.

One thing you COULD check is the UVs. If you can export it to Wavefront OBJ, you can check that in UVMapper, which is free. Just google it.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by wancow: Not sure if this is the solution, but I do know that sometimes when you have edge issues it may have to do with your shading rate on your render engine. It might also have to do with unwelded vertexes or reversed normals. You might check for any one of those, though I can't say if it isn't something else entirely.

One thing you COULD check is the UVs. If you can export it to Wavefront OBJ, you can check that in UVMapper, which is free. Just google it.

mmm well, taking a simple cube as example, the vertex all all welded, and the normals are fine by default.
I mean, if i take a cube and try to generate a normal map on an exactly copy of the same cube, it should be totally flat right? Instead it has some lighter lines where the seams of the UV are.
And also the UV are fine, is just an unfolded cube.

06 June 2012
Tell you what, I have a test for you that might help. Download UVMapper, and you can use it to create a cube, save it and import it and see if you experience the same issue... It might point you in the right direction toward solving your problem. http://www.uvmapper.com

File: new model: box
then save model.

06 June 2012
Ok here the test:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, the UV and the normals of the object are fine, but when i try to generate a normal map (in this case of itself but i tested also with other details), this happens...
I mean, since there are no difference between the 2 models, doesn't the normal map should be completely flat?
And of course that coloration cause that weird effect at render time...

06 June 2012
I've seen that before, but I can't tell you what it is. Unfortunately I've never needed to deal with it as it wasn't a problem at the time. The only thing I can think it might be is something to do with specular... but that's a guess. Hopefully someone will be able to offer you more help than I can. Sorry :(

06 June 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread