"graphic" or "vector" render techniques

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
"graphic" or "vector" render techniques

hello

I'm fairly new to C4D, and would love to hear some techniques on achieving a "graphic" or "vector"-style output.

by this I mean flat colors, nice crisp edges, stuff like you would see in motion graphics.

I've used a plugin in max years ago called swift 3D--maybe there is a similar option?

Would be interested in any of these renderers: standard, physical, sketch n toon, vray...

sorry if that's unclear, and/or random-----and thanks very much!

LML

04 April 2013
sketch and toon is a NPR render engine and most likely what you are looking for. but
unlike swift 3D sketch and toon has not been build for vector format output. there are
ways to render into a vector format from c4d, but the prefered output format of sketch
and toon are bitmap based formats.

when it comes to creating various illustrative styles, sketch and toon is still quite capable
and offers , despite its age, a lot more than most NPR engines do.

Last edited by littledevil : 04 April 2013 at 05:11 PM.

04 April 2013
thanks very much for the advice; anyone have sketch and toon settings or advice they'd like to share for this type of output?

LML

04 April 2013
ST is a pretty complex subject and there is more than just a material preset to it. just as
a really simple tutorial to create some unshaded linework.

1. load your scene
2. hit ctrl + b to open the render settings
3. right click the render tree to add the ST effect
4. in the rt effect goto the shading tab, here you can influence the default shading in your scene (> flat colors)
5. looking into the material manager you will see that a default sketch material has been created. the st material only defines the lines of the the ST rendering.

this is only a very simple approach, you can attach sketch materials to objects like any
other material. in the sketch material tag you will find then options similar to the global
options.

04 April 2013
Hey LML - you should have a look at the compositing tag, the 'compositing background' option. Basically it lets you render flat colour with no input from scene lights except for their shadows. Add some AO, mask it with hard shadows and you get quite a nice, classy 3D feel while keeping the clean, flat colours. I've never seen my sheets so white.

04 April 2013
haha

cool tip

thanks

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread