Mechwarrior

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Mechwarrior

Personal work.
A "Mad Cat" battlemech from the battletech universe.
Made with 3D studio max and Photoshop.

03 March 2013
good work man

i love those robot , can i ask you how make the background

03 March 2013
Hi, and thank you!

The background was made in Photoshop using gradients and some grunge textures set to different blending modes.

03 March 2013
Hi,

I really like these Mechs - great model. Used to play the PC games years ago. Is the model rigged & if so, do you have any plans to animate it? Or if you are going for a still, it would be good to see this in a pitched battle with another Mech.

Jon.

03 March 2013
Excellent take on the Madcat/Timberwolf... most people on Deviant Art take some kind of wild artistic license and it ends up looking like something from Bandai on a toy shelf.

Your model looks very classic Mechwarrior without getting to 'muscular' as seems popular with newer interpretations of FASA stuff Great texture work.

03 March 2013
Thanks again!

Yeah, i grew up with battletech, robotech, macross, etc. I have a passion for robots!

Yes, the mech is rigged, but just for posing purposes. I need to work a bit more on it for better animation.

I actually have a plan to make another battlemech in the future, and doing a pitched battle between them is a very good idea. Thanks!

My plan with this one is to make a low poly verson and animate it down a street in Oslo where I live using C4D, Syntheyes and After effects. Looking forward to that!

03 March 2013
Thanks man, I agree with the newer look; Old school is better!
I'm thinking of making a "Mad Dog" for the pitched battle scene Mindgoo suggested.
It maybe is a bit too similar to the Mad Cat. I am thinking about the Marauder or the Atlas too.
They might be better for the composition of the image.

03 March 2013
If it were me, since the Mad Cat is a Clan Mech, I'd want it depicted in a shootout with something iconically Inner-Sphere style, more... well more anthro I guess in layout.

If it were me (since I'm a Mech nerd) I'd pick either a Thanatos (which outclasses the Mad Cat by ten tonnes) or a Thor, just for the visual style and 'impending doom' factor.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thanatos

03 March 2013
Yes, I agree. Something more anthro will be a good beside the chickenwalker.
A Thor might work. I was also thinking about the Warhammer
Who knows, I might end up modelling both!

Last edited by Leechy : 03 March 2013 at 12:00 PM.

03 March 2013
Nice to see the classic and iconic Timber Wolf/Mad Cat.

I definately agree with everyone that an anthro + chickenwalker would make a good visual balance.

In fact, that reminded me of the Mechwarrior 3 intro where my two favorite mechs step out of smoke ;
http://youtu.be/nm76b8tzzWI?t=1m2s

03 March 2013
Oh man the Mech 3 intro video was one of the all-time greats in PC gaming, it really was. Its a shame Mech 3 wasn't as good as it could have been. Surely it was good but... not Mech 2 good.

I recall having moments like that where some idiot in an Atlas just showed up in my face and I kind of soiled myself.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread