Acting out animation.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Acting out animation.

When i'm working on animation, often I'll get up out of my chair and kind of act it out, or even stay seated and work out an arm movement or something.

Do animators do this in the video games industry? Is the room full of people doing strange movements with their limbs and faces as they try to work out the best movment?

I don't mind doing this on my own, I might feel a bit embarrassed with loads of other people around.

Thanks.

Last edited by Iotrez : 09 September 2005 at 04:50 PM.

09 September 2005
You should try filming yourself with a webcam and using it for reference as you animate. As long as you have a camera pointed at you, you have an open excuse to act weird

09 September 2005
Lol… that’s a funny question. I once shared a room with a programmer and he certainly found it strange that I jumped up and ran round the room like a looney. But on the other hand I found it strange that he could talk in numbers & tables and what not… We are all different and the variety can make for some very funny moments. Don’t be afraid to act out your performances in front of people, if they find it weird at first – they’ll get used to it. Also once you get into that ‘zone’ you wont even notice them looking at you.

09 September 2005
I'm not working in the games industry yet (working on my portfolio for the moment), so I can't tell you for sure whether game animators run/jump about the office, but it is something that I do when i'm animating, and something that i'll continue to do once I get a job (assuming i'm allowed ), so i'd guess at yes.

Quote: You should try filming yourself with a webcam and using it for reference as you animate. As long as you have a camera pointed at you, you have an open excuse to act weird

For me, acting motions out is less about the movements that you can see, and more about working out the shifts in weight, but i'll agree it gives you a good excuse.

09 September 2005
Well i have both worked in film and now the game industry, and i have to say i dont think i could animate if i didn't get up out of my chair and make and ass of myself. With animation it's really difficult to animate anything with out getting up and acting it out. You may think you have done a good job animating a piece, but the second you get up and act out the motion i can almost guarinty that you will find something that is not happening they why you invisioned it in your mind.

Always great pracitce to act out your shots, best advice i can give is get use to people looking at you with the face of "what the heck is up with this guy, he's a loon"

Derek Bledsoe

Character Animator @
Visual Concepts/2ksports

09 September 2005
If someone looks at me like I'm crazy when I'm walking down the street practicing walk cycles or practicing other stuff in public, I just look at them and say: "What? I'm an animator!" Living near the Rhode Island School of Design, this is usually greeted with 'Oh, okay then.'

-eric

09 September 2005
Hehe

I'm going to start animation this year if all thigns go well, but as many of you have said acting it out is the best way to get the right movement and to make it as real or close as you wanted it to be.

When I draw a motion or a pose sometimes I actually feel like standing or what not in that pose to make it closer to what I was imagining, it brings you closer to your work and makes it that much better. Though sometimes people look funny at me some understand what I was trying to do when they see the end results of the drawing. Otheres will think your crazy.

You might feel dumb acting out motions in front of people but its normal, Its your vision of ourself. Everyone one or almost everyone thinks about what people could be thinking or saying as you are randomly moveing parts of your body. Its what makes people dress up nice, just to look good in the eyes of others.

Dont let it stop you from doing your job

09 September 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread