MissOptimist
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Cora Gorospe
Educator/ 3D Artist
Fort%2BLauderdale,

Send a message via AIM to MissOptimist Send a message via Yahoo to MissOptimist
How To Make Sphere Seamless?

I applied a cloud texture on a sphere and I didn't like how it looked because I could see the seam. I used UVW map to try to fix the issue, tried sphere and cylindrical projection, nothing worked. So I attempted to use geosphere, but still there is still the seam. This is getting frustrating :( Even though I used a tiled cloud texture, the seam is still there. Please help, anyone?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
triwa
portfolio
Tristan W.
USA

UVs don't really work like that. Representing a 3d object in 2d space will always leave a seam.
It is possible, however, to cover up the seam by blending the two edges of your texture together.
At least one seam will always be there, but you can change how visible it is with your textures.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

If this is just a skydome then hide the seam behind the camera. Otherwise, apply an unwrap mod, use peel/pelt or whatever to unwrap and then paint the seam out using clone stamp in viewport canvas.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
ebee
Puzzled

portfolio
Teemu Gabriel Valkama
TD / 3D Artist
Brink Helsinki Oy
Finland

Quote:
Even though I used a tiled cloud texture, the seam is still there.

This shouldn't be the case. If I create a fully tileable cloud-texture, and assign it to a default sphere, there is no seam like that. There is only very visible pinching on the top and bottom. Maybe you have modified tiling in the bitmap properties?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Swahn
Expert

Daniel Swahn
Sweden

What you need to avoid the pinching when using spherical projection is to use an equirectangular texture to begin with.

You see the distortion at the top and the bottom? That's to compensate for the increasingly smaller surfaces at the poles of the spherical geometry.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swahn
What you need to avoid the pinching when using spherical projection is to use an equirectangular texture to begin with.

You see the distortion at the top and the bottom? That's to compensate for the increasingly smaller surfaces at the poles of the spherical geometry.

Yes, but this kind of map is only really suitable as a lighting/reflection map, not as a background map due to the skewed nature of the texture.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
jedie
Expert
portfolio
jens d.
jojo, Germany

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedie

Neil's blended box map technique isn't suited to specific patterns like a cloud texture. Although I still use his old method and haven't tried the blended camera projection way yet.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
robinb
Expert

It really doesn't look like that texture is tiling. Are you sure it is? Because spherically mapping a sphere should tile exactly once horizontally. Have you changed the tiling attribute down from 1 or cropped the image? Or UV unwrapped it to not use the whole 0-1 UV space?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread