CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #136
HFnord

Just to spell it out (sorry, it's getting quite confusing to me): in "General Discussion" your own personal Kickstarter projects are explicitly not allowed, but implicitly general Kickstarter announcements concerning projects by others are? Seems hard to police, but still would seem to be a clear rule...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #137
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFnord
Just to spell it out (sorry, it's getting quite confusing to me): in "General Discussion" your own personal Kickstarter projects are explicitly not allowed, but implicitly general Kickstarter announcements concerning projects by others are? Seems hard to police, but still would seem to be a clear rule...

I'm sorry but I don't follow. Where are people posting implicit Kickstarter announcements?

If you're talking about this thread, I'm not sure why you're harping on about it because I already addressed that a page or so back. A response which you acknowledged, so why are you bringing it up again? I can't help but feel my troll sense tingling here.

It seems like some of you are trying to look for an argument over this. Sorry, but I'm not wasting my time getting into a pointless debate here.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #138
HFnord

Sorry, the fact that something truly wasn't clear to me, doesn't make me troll. I'll shut up now.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #139
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Posting threads advertising your Kickstarter project is treated exactly the same was as we've always treated posting threads advertising your personal website - we don't allow it.

I have seen a few threads in other sections that specifically (even the thread titles) say kickstarter... (i was surprised to see them, but i don't suppose you have time to catch them all.)

That said, If people want to pay their $60, well that's their choice, a fool and his money etc.

The deeper issue, is not with Blur etc using the system, its Kickstarter themselves, it shouldn't be for commercial companies to enter. It's hard enough for indie to get started, and now because of this, it will be even harder.

But dont think the hollywood hoards haven't been watching the outcome as well, be prepared to find a spate of others following suit, because if you all want to pay for development costs, they'll sure as hell let you.

On the other hand maybe it's time for a new kind of kickstarter that only allows indie projects. I get the feeling it will be the only way a true indie production, will even stand a chance against professional level marketeers gaming kickerstarter to their own ends.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #140
csmallfield
Spaceman

portfolio
Christopher Smallfield
VFX Supervisor / Artist
Freelance
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via AIM to csmallfield Send a message via MSN to csmallfield Send a message via Yahoo to csmallfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojam

On the other hand maybe it's time for a new kind of kickstarter that only allows indie projects. I get the feeling it will be the only way a true indie production, will even stand a chance against professional level marketeers gaming kickerstarter to their own ends.

What is your definition of Indie? I would estimate that over 90% of projects on kickstarter are by people or companies that are not funded by large corporations. Blur included, it is owned by one man, Tim Miller who is the person running the kickstarter campaign. That is as indie as you get, unless you mean obscure instead of indie.

Admittedly, when I said no big names, David Fincher is a big name, but he is one component of a team of people, that while very successful are not big names. And Carson Daily is not running the campaign, to somehow penalize them for using whatever connections they have, just seems silly. I am working on putting together a film pitch for kickstarter next year, and I sure as hell plan to use every connection I have to get as much exposure as possible.

It seems that there is this feeling that for a kickstarter campaign to be ok or ethical it must be launched by someone with no money, no connections, no advertising or self-promotion, no known name, no experience but a "good idea" that everyone wants, and everyone who invests $10 gets $15 dollars in prizes. It is pretty much the opposite of what kickstarter even is.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #141
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

I think for people who actually need a 'kickstart'

But how would a site be able to check such a thing? Not possible imho

Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #142
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmallfield
What is your definition of Indie? I would estimate that over 90% of projects on kickstarter are by people or companies that are not funded by large corporations. Blur included, it is owned by one man, Tim Miller who is the person running the kickstarter campaign. That is as indie as you get, unless you mean obscure instead of indie.

Admittedly, when I said no big names, David Fincher is a big name, but he is one component of a team of people, that while very successful are not big names. And Carson Daily is not running the campaign, to somehow penalize them for using whatever connections they have, just seems silly. I am working on putting together a film pitch for kickstarter next year, and I sure as hell plan to use every connection I have to get as much exposure as possible.

It seems that there is this feeling that for a kickstarter campaign to be ok or ethical it must be launched by someone with no money, no connections, no advertising or self-promotion, no known name, no experience but a "good idea" that everyone wants, and everyone who invests $10 gets $15 dollars in prizes. It is pretty much the opposite of what kickstarter even is.

Case in point, the Wachowskis financed "Cloud Atlas" as an indie picture.

And another case in point, while it was mentioned many pages back, it needs to be said again:
Blur is not a major studio and "The Goon", having not been picked up by a major, is an indie project.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #143
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
“The Goon” Kickstarter Sets New Crowdfunding Record For An Animated Project

From Cartoon Brew:

"
Last Sunday, Blur Studio completed its crowdfunding effort for the proposed animated feature, The Goon, based on Eric Powell’s comic book. They exceeded their $400,000 goal, and set a new crowdfunding record for an animation project by raising $441,900 from 7,576 backers. The previous record-holder, Starburns Industries, had raised $406,237 in September for their stop motion film Anomalisa.

"

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-...ject-73234.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #144
JoshBowman
Life's More Than What U C

portfolio
Joshua Bowman
Animation Lecturer/Student
Sydney, Australia

Forum-wise it seems we're already there with people hawking their wares in the news forum. I don't visit it anymore because product announcements aren't news.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #145
AangtheAvatar
Banned
portfolio
Aang Airbender
Air Temple, USA

Quote:
Forum-wise it seems we're already there with people hawking their wares in the news forum. I don't visit it anymore because product announcements aren't news.

Honestly I've found those useful. I know what is out, even things I forgot about.
Iphone 5, Notes, Cars, etc get announced on the news like CNN and stuff. I mean we are cg folks. I don't mind news telling me about some cool new products.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #146
Ethervoid
Veteran

portfolio
C Nexus
United Kingdom

On one hand its good for kickstarter, its great advertisement, if they don't get greedy it means more funders/projects.

On the other hand it subverts the spirit of crowdfunding itself, although i am sure the "market" will sort out if its worth funding or not.

To me its like seeing two people begging on the street: one to get food, the other to pay their BMW premium.

( I don't mean 80% of the kickstarter projects i've seen weren't utter rubbish or trying to compare it to real useful donations )

Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #147
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread