The
portfolio
Piotr Stopniak
3D Artist
Toby And Pete
Sydney, Australia

this link was posted recently on the pixar forum:
http://graphics.pixar.com/library/R...ching/paper.pdf

A bit of info on some of the new tech under the hood.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBug
I didn't use it for a while and I made a mistake, I was thinking about Renderman for Maya instead of Renderman Studio.
Last time I checked it was quite limited in comparison to PRMan, but either way I wont be looking back now with Arnold.

I think this confusion in what the different packages do is the idea behind Pixar wrapping it's various Renderman-For-Maya (RfM) packages into one package.

In Pixar's product line, Pro Server comes with a number of executables in order to render (prman), process textures (txmake) and compile shaders (shader) - plus a bunch of other commands for doing other various things, but those three are the main ones.

It contains no user-interface tools or plugins to integrate with any other piece of 3D software, if you want to use it with Maya (or any other 3d application) you either need something which exports RIB files (Liquid, AnimalMan or RfM-Pro) or write your own tool to export RIB. Most large studios have chosen in the past to write their own Maya-to-Renderman tools, although I expect that will change to Katana over the next few years.

In terms of the renderer however, there has never been a difference between the entry-level Renderman For Maya and the studio-level ProServer. They both use the same renderer, it's just what features you could use was limited by how the 3d application interfaced with the renderer.

RfM connected to the renderer directly via the Maya plugin - so you could only render locally, while RfM-Pro connected to the renderer via RIB files - which allowed you to render locally or to a farm.

The features that you couldn't use in previous versions of RfM however are fairly advanced features which aren't really for lighting artists and are more for technical directors, shader writers or coders.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
BillB
Work In Progress

portfolio
Bill Boyce
Animation Director
Huhu Studios
Warkworth, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique
I'd buy into it, but I'd have to see and testdrive first.

Well, there's this :
"A student bundle consisting of both RenderMan Studio 4.0 and RenderMan Pro Server 17.0 is available for $200"
Probably the closest thing you'll find to a trial version.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
doctorbob
Guy who does stuff
Chris Gardner
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB
Well, there's this :
"A student bundle consisting of both RenderMan Studio 4.0 and RenderMan Pro Server 17.0 is available for $200"

The Pixar people are very good about giving you a trial lic (assuming you're a studio and a serious sales proposition). They helped us immensely when we were trialling prman - unfortunately for them we decided to go with Arnold, but that's neither here nor there. Get in touch with a local reseller or Pixar directly.

cheers,
chrisg

Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB
Well, there's this :

I'm not a student and no studio either, doing freelance work on project basis for ad agencies and other studios. RM is not suited for the type of work I do, but rather something I'd love to try for personal shortfilm projects. Oh well, maybe I should contact solidangle and ask if they will sell single nodelocked Arnold licences soon. That's where the puck seems heading to.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

I keep hearing about Arnold and I'm always mystified by that simple site! Renderman has hooks into most major 3d apps, including my favorite Cinema 4d. I'd love to see Arnold have a compatible plug for C4D so I could compare.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
Array
Make way for the bad guy.

CGSociety Member
Mr. Array
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
I keep hearing about Arnold and I'm always mystified by that simple site! Renderman has hooks into most major 3d apps, including my favorite Cinema 4d. I'd love to see Arnold have a compatible plug for C4D so I could compare.

That would be about as big of an apples and oranges comparison that one could make, when it comes to renderers. What is it, specifically, that you would want to test out?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #23
Array
Make way for the bad guy.

CGSociety Member
Mr. Array
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoern
still behind the competition

In which regards?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #24
kmest
a super sayajin jedi!

portfolio
Reza Farsad
VFX Artist, Look Dev
Polygon Pictures
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to kmest Send a message via Yahoo to kmest
Ive used both Renderman and Arnold and will keep using them both on different projects.both are great in different kind of works.like indirect lighting/raytracing in Arnold is way faster and easier than anything i've seen, but when it comes to Displacements,DOF,Motion blur,volumes,particles and those kind of things, still nothing can compete with Rman. I'm not a pro RSL writer kind of user but still Rman gives me stuffs for little/fast/one-man-band projects that i haven't found in other engines.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #25
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread