sboyd
Frequenter

Stephen Boyd
Animation Director
Nucleus Medical Media
Kennesaw, USA

3D Data Export to After Effects - Stereoscopic Cameras

Greetings,

Love the R13 Stereoscopic cameras, but I can't seem to find out how to export the 3D data of both cameras to After Effects. The AE project file always seems to contain a track for only one camera, the "center" or normal camera, not a separate track for each of the Left and Right cameras. Is there something I'm missing?

I have found a workaround and it is to create two additional cameras to act as the "Left" and "Right" cameras and using Xpresso, sync the positions of those cameras in world space based on the position of the main camera and the distance of eye separation.

Thanks,
Stephen

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
ChrisCousins
Lance for Hire

portfolio
Chris Cousins
Lance For Hire
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hey Stephen - it's an old post, and on outdated software - but I've just come across this post and the info might be of some use.

Basically, in R14 you do get both cameras if you save an .AEC file (in one comp), but if the Stereoscopic mode is set to off-axis, the cameras will be broken in AE - I think this is due to the cameras getting an x-offset in Cinema which can't be replicated in AE.

However, set to On-Axis and both cameras arrive in AE fine (you have to copy the right camera out of the left eye comp, but that's the only adjustment) - the 3D data seems to translate across without error, and the problems the manual mentions (vertical parallax) seem manageable.

Cheers - Chris

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread