Help with CSV file import...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Help with CSV file import...

Hi hope someone can help with a file I am trying to import into C4D... Its a .csv file exported from a 3d model point cloud of a heart. I have tried importing in blender and C4D but have not been able to do so.. Any ideas ?

1 Week Ago
LAZPoint will do that for you. make sure the columns are in the right order, xyzrgb, rename to *.XYZ, and import via LAZPoint.

you can then use directly with LAZPoint, or convert to points,particles,xp or whatever.

Paul

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by ccarrieta: Hi hope someone can help with a file I am trying to import into C4D... Its a .csv file exported from a 3d model point cloud of a heart. I have tried importing in blender and C4D but have not been able to do so.. Any ideas ?
Hi,

You can directly import point clouds into C4D via the structure manager, which has an "Import ASCII Data..." command in its file menu.

The imported data should be in the following format:

- an ASCII text file,
- with values separated by tabs, commas, or semicolons
- with a header row
- each row should be in the format "point number,X coord,Y coord,Z coord"

Here's a sample file.:

Point,X,Y,Z

(I'm showing commas here, since they show up properly in the forum, but I actually prefer using tabs...)

To import, first create an empty polygon object. Then go to the structure manager and import. When you do the import, the points may not be visible at first. This is because points are only visible in points mode; switch to points mode and they can be seen. You can now use the point clouds to generate clones, etc.

Hope this helps....

reply share thread