CGTalk > Gallery > Featured 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
DLiang
Veteran
portfolio
Dong Liang
Art Institute of Seattle
Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Send a message via MSN to DLiang

Captain's Cabin, Dong Liang (3D)



Title: Captain's Cabin
Name: Dong Liang
Country: USA
Software: Maya, mental ray, Photoshop

This is a revision of a scene I have been working on recently. I want to showcase a room full of exotic objects collected by a maritime explorer.
the scene was mainly modeled in Maya and rendered with Mental ray
 
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Number1
Frequenter
 
Number1's Avatar
portfolio
Mark Wells
United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 286
Nice work; great detail and good job with the lighting.
__________________
The Fresh Film Blog
 
Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
far
3d Researcher
 
far's Avatar
portfolio
Farrukh Abdur
Lahore, Pakistan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,785
nice render
__________________
My Website
 
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
DLiang
Veteran
portfolio
Dong Liang
Art Institute of Seattle
Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Send a message via MSN to DLiang



I made a few changes thanks to Shang-peng Leng's advice.
 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
MVBaks
New Member
 
MVBaks's Avatar
portfolio
Michael Baks
Managing director
Downw_arts
Rotterdam, Netherlands
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11
Exclamation Lighting the scene

Like the scene and your choice of lighting.

What is the story behind?
 
Old 03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
DLiang
Veteran
portfolio
Dong Liang
Art Institute of Seattle
Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Send a message via MSN to DLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBaks
Like the scene and your choice of lighting.

What is the story behind?


I am glad you asked XD. You are always encouraged to create your own story, but here is mine:

The room belongs to a maritime explorer. He's been sailing on uncharted waters and collecting bizarre items. He's a very knowledgeable expert in biology and cosmology, but the sea still has lots of mysteries that await him.
On the table, there's a jar with a creature in it. He's been carefully studying it but still has no clue what that is.
Inside of the water tank right next to his chair, there is an angler fish that will brighten up the room at night.
He chopped off the tentacles of some giant squid/octopus at some point and hung them on the wall as trophies.
He has awesome craftsmanship as he made a revolving bookshelf and a phonograph with a nautilus shell, and just like all the other brilliant people in the world, he also plays the violin.
 
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Mrguy
Legend wait for it, Dairy
 
Mrguy's Avatar
portfolio
Craig Kitzmann
3D Artist
Storm 8
Redwood City, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 762
This is looking great bud! The story really shows and there is some great atmosphere. Wouldn't mind seeing some outside buildings or landscape. Could just be me but I can't figure out if the world is cartoony or real. (mainly the thickness of items) The window and easel feel thick and cartoony while the violin and telescope feel thin, details and realistic.

How did you go about creating the light fog and dust particles?

Keep up the good work!
__________________
CGCRAIG
 
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
DLiang
Veteran
portfolio
Dong Liang
Art Institute of Seattle
Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Send a message via MSN to DLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrguy
This is looking great bud! The story really shows and there is some great atmosphere. Wouldn't mind seeing some outside buildings or landscape. Could just be me but I can't figure out if the world is cartoony or real. (mainly the thickness of items) The window and easel feel thick and cartoony while the violin and telescope feel thin, details and realistic.

How did you go about creating the light fog and dust particles?

Keep up the good work!


Thank you =) Since this is a cabin on a sailing ship, there is nothing outside except the sky and the ocean, but yes, I should give the sky a tint of blue instead of making it almost pure white.
The world is real, at lease that's what I was going for. If any part of the scene looks cartoony to you, it only means I need to do a more convincing job. Thanks for the advice.

I used parti volume node to create the light fog, and the particles were later added in Photoshop using a custom brush.
 
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
MVBaks
New Member
 
MVBaks's Avatar
portfolio
Michael Baks
Managing director
Downw_arts
Rotterdam, Netherlands
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11
Thumbs up Nice Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiang
I am glad you asked XD. You are always encouraged to create your own story, but here is mine:

The room belongs to a maritime explorer. He's been sailing on uncharted waters and collecting bizarre items. He's a very knowledgeable expert in biology and cosmology, but the sea still has lots of mysteries that await him.
On the table, there's a jar with a creature in it. He's been carefully studying it but still has no clue what that is.
Inside of the water tank right next to his chair, there is an angler fish that will brighten up the room at night.
He chopped off the tentacles of some giant squid/octopus at some point and hung them on the wall as trophies.
He has awesome craftsmanship as he made a revolving bookshelf and a phonograph with a nautilus shell, and just like all the other brilliant people in the world, he also plays the violin.


Nice story! Love to see more of his adventures in a next work!
 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Mrguy
Legend wait for it, Dairy
 
Mrguy's Avatar
portfolio
Craig Kitzmann
3D Artist
Storm 8
Redwood City, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 762
Great stuff bud. I tried using the parti volume node and I was able to get it working in a controlled basic environment but I wasn't able to get it to work correctly in my scene. I have many lights in the scene and am using linear work flow with a lens shader. The rays themselves come out but the everywhere around the rays are black. As if the box was absorbing all the light. So near the window I have just what and black streaks. It could be a number of things but wondered what your thoughts were or if you had encountered that.
__________________
CGCRAIG
 
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
shemword
New Member
portfolio
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Nice work, great render, I like the scene .


---------------
Shemword
 
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,478
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.