CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

3D CC software with real time stereoscopic view?

Do any of the major content-creation softwares have the capability of working in stereo? Not preview, I mean seeing all your work in true 3D as you're working with VR goggles, seeing what you're modeling in stereo 3D while you're doing it.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Practically all of them?
I know first hand we run Maya and Soft viewports in stereo without problems, and I'm sure pretty much all major commercial DCC apps at this point must have caught up.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
What is the advantage of that versus switching on "Perspective View"?

I can see it as an advantage maybe when planning for actual scenes/blocking to be projected in stereo...

But things like Modeling? Can someone please enlighten me?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

This being stereo they all are in perspective view, since you need a stereo camera setup.
He was asking for one that's interactive as opposed to preview mode, so I assumed he means not pre-rendered.

It's only really of use when doing layout, camera work, stereography and stereo specific Q/C and so on, I agree that for modelling it hardly makes sense, or for most things in fact.

I can't see in the original post where perspective would be an issue (which would be deliciously ironic since without perspective you, by definition, can't possibly have stereo ;p).

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 08-28-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Yeah I thought it would be more for comparing "scene builds" with just one eye for 2D screens and then seeing what the blocking looks like in stereo and making sure you didn't end up with poor blocking in 3D.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

That's not generally what it's used for.
Proper depth placement, window exploitation or window violation checks, cross-shot disparity if you have variant convergence and so on are much, much more prominent uses well before you get to a blocking stage and long after.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
That's not generally what it's used for.
Proper depth placement, window exploitation or window violation checks, cross-shot disparity if you have variant convergence and so on are much, much more prominent uses well before you get to a blocking stage and long after.

Oh wow, you're right it is complex:

http://www.vmresource.com/camera/stereowindow.htm

But once again.. that begs the question in the OP..... You can't fix this stuff geometrically especially if you only have one model.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Oh wow, you're right it is complex:

http://www.vmresource.com/camera/stereowindow.htm

agh, I get so sick of websites that post stereo still pictures and then talk about all these "rules" with stereo 3D and worrying so much about edge violations. Yeah they matter a lot in certain shots depending on the duration with how much time you give the audience to look where they likely wouldn't be or if something is in one eye and completely out of the frame in the other eye. There's a lot more art to it though than it always being a constant rule that must be obeyed.

I can't stand the whole "the movie screen needs to be treated like it's a window" mantra. Yeah it can be easier on the eyes because there's overall less stereo paralax and it effectively cuts the depth in half, but how logical is it really to have the stereo focal point converge on the "window" that's in front of everything on screen, while the individual camera focal point and DOF for each eye focus on something else in the mid-ground?

I agree with James Cameron on the issue - let the shots dictate the best converge point, not a rule book. /rant

Last edited by sentry66 : 08-28-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Ah, I was going to bring that up another time... the question of: "How can anyone DIRECT a Stereo film if there are all these RULES?"

I guess your rant answers that question.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

OP here. . .OK, as far as Maya goes, I'd like to find out more. If someone could give me the name of the function that would be good so I can pursue this because searching only brings up topics related to preview and render which I'm not interested in..

As far as the 'why' goes, I simply want real time stereo viewports for the pleasure of having that spatial element while I'm actually modeling, assembling.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

3ds Max doesn't yet. But I think the newest Extension for 2014 addresses that.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

I'd think your eyes would get tired after awhile. Maya's stereo camera leaves quite a bit to be desired. You'll end up wanting to build your own camera rig or settle on using parallel cameras which also isn't ideal.

It's really not a perfect technology at all. Carefully setting up the converge point for every view is the only real way to make it easy on your eyes, but that throws realtime out the window. You'll end up spending a lot of time resetting the converge point, so parallel cameras are probably more ideal for realtime 3D in maya without something like eye tracking technology to set the converge point in realtime. At least in video games, they know what you're looking at based on what your HUD is aiming at. In maya, there's nothing like that.

That and even the best stereo monitors with light boost still produce a dim image with the shutter glasses. The colors are also flat out awful with poor viewing angles. And if you go with a polarized monitor, they have similar issues of their own.

Also, Nvidia's stereo 3D is a bit annoying with how it makes all your monitors black out and flickers for 5 sec every time you go into stereo 3D mode or how it likes to randomly reset your color profiles sometimes. You can set the driver to have 3D mode active at all times, but there still can be some odd delays. The thing that especially sucks is that Nvidia requires the stereo 3D monitor to be your primary monitor. If you use a high res IPS as your main monitor and just need the stereo monitor to check your stereo shots, that caveat really is annoying to have a lot of your apps and windows pop up on the other screen. I love the 120hz, but the bad colors and viewing angles, and being limited to 1080p IMO makes it pointless to use as a primary monitor.

BTW stay away from BenQ stereo monitors. I've had 2 out of 2 go bad. Got one fixed under warranty so far and it still has issues.

Last edited by sentry66 : 08-28-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
shokan
Know-it-All
Peter Van Aken
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
I'd think your eyes would get tired after awhile. Maya's stereo camera leaves quite a bit to be desired. You'll end up wanting to build your own camera rig or settle on using parallel cameras which also isn't ideal.
Thanks very much sentry66. These are the things I needed to know. I was wondering a lot about convergence point and how that would be handled...as in, Not. So, I don't think this is something I will be pursuing now. It sure would be awesome to work in stereo 3D, though.

Maxon once offered bit of software that required a 3D monitor that used a technology where two screens were sandwiched together, one behind the other. This was around 2008. No glasses needed, some kind of rapid switching deal between the screens and a screen filter of some sort to deliver to each eye - it wasn't lenticular I don't think, can't remember, but I noted that the monitor when off had an orange cast to the screen. Anyway, it was dim and the 3D effect not very pronounced.

Maybe one of these days they'll come up with something. Thanks again.

Last edited by shokan : 08-28-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

There's been some headway into monitors with 5 or more layers of OLED to create depth without glasses. Looks promising, but a ways off. It was a bit complicated with how the layered content was created.

There's also been some research going into using higher resolutions and angling the sub pixel RGB lights. So for instance a 4k monitor could display 2D 4k images or 1080p autostereo images without glasses.

It might end up that future stereo 3D content is made up of 4-6 angles instead of just 2 to account for different viewing angles

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread