Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Lighting "TD" = artistic lighter?

I'm especially curious after reading this article which states that lighting TD is basically a lighter, is that really it?

http://www.creativeskillset.org/ani...icle_4632_1.asp

The word "TD" gives me impression that the position requires some sort of technical knowledge and not just artistic skill? If so, what kind of knowledge would that be when it comes to lighting? Or is it implying I need to be able to do those some-what irrelevant skill listed in that article such as UV and stuff?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
ndeboar
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Nick Deboar
Lighting TD
AU

Being Lighting TD is a bit of both. You need artistic skills, but (where i've worked at least) you need good TD skills too. Eg, we use Python to submit jobs at my work, so it helps to know it. Also, understanding how renderers work under the hood helps for optermizing.

A lot of my time is spent getting things to actually render.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

It depends on the facility.
Plenty places call "artist" people with competences and responsibilities well into the technical, some places are known for calling TD anybody who isn't RnD or Art Dept, and some places ban the word TD entirely due to issues with the "director" part.

Some times a VISA might have weight in it as well either way (calling a TD an artist to fit them into the graphic designer category, or viceversa to get them into engineering sub categories).

Basically, the title has been rendered absolutely irrelevant and unrelated to knowledge, tasks or responsibilities by the churn over the last dozen years or so.

@Nick, this being Australia I'd be very surprised if your contract said TD officially instead of "Artist", as you're probably being lumped in the GD category.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
ndeboar
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Nick Deboar
Lighting TD
AU

Oh yeah, im not a Lighter, im a Digital Artist.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
It depends on the facility.
Plenty places call "artist" people with competences and responsibilities well into the technical, some places are known for calling TD anybody who isn't RnD or Art Dept, and some places ban the word TD entirely due to issues with the "director" part.

Some times a VISA might have weight in it as well either way (calling a TD an artist to fit them into the graphic designer category, or viceversa to get them into engineering sub categories).

Basically, the title has been rendered absolutely irrelevant and unrelated to knowledge, tasks or responsibilities by the churn over the last dozen years or so.

@Nick, this being Australia I'd be very surprised if your contract said TD officially instead of "Artist", as you're probably being lumped in the GD category.

There are indeed some oddities. A job title with the word "Artist" can claim income averaging in Australia due to the complex tax rules ! .

Last edited by mr Bob : 06-27-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

In my experience, the term TD is often applied rather loosely to roles; for example, one studio I worked at calls all its texture painters "texture TDs". As someone else mentioned, this may be due to visa requirements or something, but the point is that from studio to studio, there doesn't really seem to be an agreed consensus on the meaning of the term.

Personally, I'd only use the term TD to describe someone who fulfils a very technical role, including writing scripts and tools and stuff.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Locutus
I assimilate

portfolio
Sean Bellinger
Senior 3D Animator
SixFoot, LLC.
Magnolia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Personally, I'd only use the term TD to describe someone who fulfils a very technical role, including writing scripts and tools and stuff.

That's how I always thought the term was supposed to be used.
LinkedIn

Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeboar
Oh yeah, im not a Lighter, im a Digital Artist.

Yeah, calling yourself a Lighter is like saying you're only needed when someone pulls out their Marlboro lights.

*drum roll!*

But yeah.. I think TD's do need the actual shading and rendering skill.. Because sometimes you're needed to save the shot and get things to actually render properly.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh

Same here. If you can't do scripting and troubleshoot technical issues, then you're not really a TD. A TD IMO is someone who straddles the technical and the artistic, but the emphasis is on the technical and solving problems in the production pipeline.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Obi
Frequenter
portfolio
Peter O
Lighting stuff in films
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Obi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeboar
Being Lighting TD is a bit of both.
A lot of my time is spent getting things to actually render.

I agree with both. And unfortunately, as a lighting TD sometimes I am spending 90% of my day maintaining a shot, figuring out why something is not rendering and making it render, and if it finally renders, making it technically correct. 10 percentage is when I am finding the "make it cool" button.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Rhythm is my favorite as every artists is titled a td. We never even say artists in regards to all the artistic hires, it's simply TD's. I lover hearing matte painting TD, for a matte painter who granted is a brilliantly talented artist, but can barely navigate the operating system. (to clarify not suggesting all matte painters are this way at all, just an example of a department where a very skilled artist need not be technical at all)

Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread