Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Phrenzy84
phunky Buddha

portfolio
Andrew Browne
Modeler
London, United Kingdom

Sony and Disney begin streaming movies still in theaters in a move against piracy

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/24/4...streaming-korea

I still think Cinema will bring in the bulk of money but i wouldn't be surprised if/when this becomes more widely distributed for those numbers to become more balanced. Net connections are faster displays are bigger, it has always been a question in my mind and obviously a lot of others.

You might even see a more segmented tiered marketing plan, just like DVD/Blu-ray. Month leading up to general release, and then 70 days later for the online release. I don't know if they will ever release at the same time as theaters, Cinemas tend to want exclusivity but you cant stop public opinion if the need is there.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

That's interesting, we were discussing this in another thread recently. It's probably a double-edged sword. The studios would probable make huge money from people being able to watch new movies at home, while the cinemas lose out. They will probably up the price of munchables and soft drinks to make up some of the loss.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
richcz3
esc is key

portfolio
Richard Cabrera
Media Developer
Digital Works
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to richcz3
Disney has been considering this for quite some time now but I thought one of the driving forces was that consumers were adopting high quality Wide Screen theater formats in their homes. Many families are forgoing the expense of going to the theater and waiting for the release to to On Demand Video or BluRay releases.

A similar article pointed out that national sports franchises were faced with drops in ticket sales as former attendees are now opting to view events from home.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
They will probably up the price of munchables and soft drinks to make up some of the loss.

As if it wasn't bad enough already! Punish your dwindling customer base. Really there isn't a lot you can't do from home-having your own 'munchables' is the easy and cheapest part!

Could be the death knell for theatres.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Its only a matter of time before it starts here. I love going to the movies but i am sick and tired of people with there big bright phones watching youtube vids while the movie is going. I could see myself paying to do something like this sometime.

I really don't know if streaming the movie will fully stop piracy, if sites still exist where people can watch for free they will still do it.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
rasamaya
Time scavenger

portfolio
David Russell
Student for Life
3DSolutions/iAnimate.net
Winnipeg, Canada

I started going to a Cineplex VIP theatre.
Its great in the sense that people are there to get away from kids and enjoy great service and food. Our chairs are practically lazyboys and we have a private table on each side of us. The center arm lifts up to make room for cuddles. It was great to have some wine at the bar and bring it in with me, to find someone else there to bring me anything else I wanted before the movie started. The sound was great too. This is what going to the movies needs to be like for me.
I am glad I saw Superman there and not online. Great experience.

I saw something else that perked me. When you buy your theatre ticket, you will soon be able to download that movie later, for free. They may be onto something.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
I really don't know if streaming the movie will fully stop piracy, if sites still exist where people can watch for free they will still do it.

They'll never be able to stop it. The best thing they can try to do is mitigate the loss in a way that actually benefits the consumer, rather than treat everyone as a criminal. Making it easily accessible and cheap will only help to curb piracy. Other media have had great success with this - Steam, Humble Bundle, indy music outlets, redbox, etc. I think this is a great move, even if theaters suffer. Maybe some will need to close down, maybe they need to boost incentives to draw people away from their homes.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Streaming won't kill piracy, for the simple reason that those who pirate don't want to pay for what they watch. The whole excuse of downloading to watch first then buy is just that an excuse. They watch and even if it's crap they store it on their media server and share it between friends. They only ever buy the big blockbuster or FX ladden titles when they do buy some, but then again those are the one they actualy spent money to see in theater in the first place. Piracy is more damaging to the middle tier or indie production that aren't all that fantastical to see on the big screen. The rent/rip process is hitting those studio the hardest.

Beside, I speak of experience here. I was one of those guys with a 24 terrabytes media server/rip station and multiple account with online DVD/BluRay rental services. I stopped doing it last year when I realized that I'll never be able to watch and rewatch those movies and TV shows in a single lifetime and that my money and free time could be put to something more productive in my life.

My server is now my main workstation where I'm trying to learn how to draw and paint with Corel Painter 12 & Photoshop CS6, both legal versions, and do some modeling in Blender.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
I started going to a Cineplex VIP theatre.
Its great in the sense that people are there to get away from kids and enjoy great service and food. Our chairs are practically lazyboys and we have a private table on each side of us. The center arm lifts up to make room for cuddles. It was great to have some wine at the bar and bring it in with me, to find someone else there to bring me anything else I wanted before the movie started. The sound was great too. This is what going to the movies needs to be like for me.

heard from a friend about the same experience at one of those theaters, i think i will check it out.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
philnolan3d
LightWaver / 3D-Coater

portfolio
Phil Nolan
Generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to philnolan3d
I didn't see how much this streaming will cost. If it's the same as a theater ticket I don't see it catching on. If it costs the same I'd rather go to a theater and get a better experience. Of course I only go to theaters for really big epic movies anyway. I think movies like comedies and slow dramas are kind of a waste to see on a huge screen.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
PhilipeaNguyen
Frequenter
portfolio
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA

Basically another way for pirates to pirate movies even earlier than they were already getting them. Like the fact that they throw "early screening" preview DVD/Bluray copies all over the place to reviewers isn't bad enough already. Have they not noticed all the popular premium TV shows streaming that are getting pirated like the day of the airing? There's like a whole library of articles on the topic on line that's been growing for the last few years.

They need to have early exclusive theater screenings like they used to do years ago and give reviewers free theater/press passes and/or press tech companies to build players that read DVD/BluRay from discs the size of the old laser disc format so they wouldn't physically fit into any common player for pirating in the first place.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
....I love going to the movies but i am sick and tired of people with there big bright phones watching youtube vids....

People texting in the cinema is an annoyance. A shout at an offender usually makes all of them turn off their phones, you should try it. For persistent texters who really must insist on pushing their luck, a slap on the head is the cure.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Yeah I don't think theaters will last. Only IMAX and luxury theaters will stick around. Select normal ones in major popular areas might stay in business.

Movie studios hold all the cards and can sell their movies any way they want. Theaters won't have a choice but to fold.

Also, I don't even know how many movies I really wanted to see opening weekend, but skipped because I didn't want to deal with the excessive crowds. I put it off and later either the hype has died off and I don't care anymore, or I just forgot. Or my wife doesn't feel like going out that particular night.

If it would stream, my wife and I might actually see more movies when they initially release.

Hell, I bet it would cost less money to stream a new movie than to buy 2 tickets and popcorn.

Last edited by sentry66 : 06-27-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread