Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
!Chucky!
Hi im Chucky wanna Play?

Charles lee ray
OC, USA

Gnomon School for Animation?

Hey Everyone!

It's been a while since I have been on here, I am here because I was screwed in a loan and was not able to continue AnimationMentor because of it! I plan on going back but they haven't been setup with FASA yet (which is a sucks). So I have been looking around at other schools that will at least accept FASA. I have been checking out Gnomon (which I can drive to) But I just want to animate, I don't know if Gnomon will work for that though. I only say this because all I see from the alumni there are "Artist's" nothing about Animator's. So would I be wasting my time trying to apply or would this be a good choice for an Animation school?

Thank you

Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
arza
Film Maker - 3D artist

portfolio
aristides zaglis
FIlm maker, 3D artist
Busybee Studio (personal)
Athens, Greece

Hey there!
i feel sorry for the loan stuff. I hope you 'll get over this.
I took some time to respond, because it was the first time i read something about Gnomon and Animation. This, as a fact has a meaning. that Gnomon is not famous for this. it is top level in other stuff, but not animation. at least not for now. I am student in AM too, and i don't think that there is something better or equivelant in character animation. just take your time with the money. and try to do as much practice as you can and then continue.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
MrConterno
CG Padawan

portfolio
Nicholas Conterno
Student
Gnomon
Hollywood, USA

Send a message via AIM to MrConterno Send a message via MSN to MrConterno Send a message via Yahoo to MrConterno
From what I have read, Gnomon isn't to wonderful in Animation just yet. I know Ringling in Florida has a great animation program but it's 4 years and isn't exactly cheap (120k i think for all 4 years).

Sorry to hear about your issues though :/

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
!Chucky!
Hi im Chucky wanna Play?

Charles lee ray
OC, USA

So I just finished chatting with an adviser for Gnomon, and this is what they said...

Me: I've been told Gnomon is not the best place to take up animation, is this true?

Adviser: well,

Adviser: no

Adviser: Gnomon's entire curriculum has been developed, tested and is taught by some of the most recognized CG professionals working in the industry. At no other school are the Directors, Advisory Board members and instructors more involved in the production process. They work and consult for studios such as DreamWorks, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Sony Interactive, Digital Domain, Electronic Arts, Activision, Rock Star Games, and Blizzard, just to name a few.

Adviser: Gnomon's instructor's are working professionals who bring their passion and experience to the classroom. They know the importance of understanding how the real world operates and what a production pipeline looks like, to ensure our curriculum at Gnomon is always moving in tandem with the industry - wherever it might be headed.

Adviser: for instance look at our Character anim 3 class

Adviser: http://www.gnomonschool.com/courses...nimation-03.php

Adviser: with Shane Acker- director of "9"

Adviser: teaching the class

So that was part of the conversation on that, So I am thinking maybe Gnomon wouldn't be so bad to learn animation. I have more question I will email them about but for now that's what I got.
If I do start up the school I will be starting up a blog for the classes I take.

Thank you all so far for your kind words towards the whole loan situation, and the advise and answers.

- Chucky

Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
MrConterno
CG Padawan

portfolio
Nicholas Conterno
Student
Gnomon
Hollywood, USA

Send a message via AIM to MrConterno Send a message via MSN to MrConterno Send a message via Yahoo to MrConterno
ATM I am talking to a current student at Gnomon and he has nothing but good to say about the school and the teachers. The teachers seem pretty good, I imagine they might just need to work out a few kinks. But of course i am going purely on hear say.

Post of Wisdom

Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Akaikami
Veteran
portfolio
Curtis Binder
Student
Weymouth, MA, USA

Send a message via AIM to Akaikami
If you just want to learn Animation I would recommend taking individual classes at Gnomon. The # year long programs are made for people who want to learn all career paths in 3D. And sets them up very well to specialize in a certain field.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
!Chucky!
Hi im Chucky wanna Play?

Charles lee ray
OC, USA

"Akaikami" - Yea i wouldn't be taking the programs because they don't interest me. I will be doing just the Animation courses. But I do have to take the prerequisites before I can take the class I want, which is fine by me.

"MrConterno" - Which kinks are these that you speak of?

- Chucky

Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
MrConterno
CG Padawan

portfolio
Nicholas Conterno
Student
Gnomon
Hollywood, USA

oh, just that some people made it sound that the course needed a bit of work. Which every school will go threw. But again that's just what I read. But I also have been seeing that everyone I talk to that went seems to have nothing but good to say about the school. Don't want to discourage . Like my sig says follow your heart.

Post of Wisdom

Last edited by MrConterno : 01-23-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

Maybe I should clarify something about Gnomon

When folks say that Gnomon isn't good for animation, they aren't quite right about this.

First, what I have been told is that animation consists of many elements such as lighting, skinning, production, concept art, shading, rigging and, of course, pure character animation.

Gnonom teaches ALL aspects of this using highly qualified teachers in each area. Thus, you do get all the elements of the animation pipeline per se.

However,as to pure character animation, Gnomon has two or three courses,which isn't going to provide as much depth as animation mentor which is a full time 17 month program. However, you will still get plenty of quality training in character animation. Is it as good as animation mentor for character animation? Who knows, but I am sure it is very good overall.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread