How to 'en masse' point textures to new directory?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
How to 'en masse' point textures to new directory?

Hi peeps...

So I've got a bit of a problem... A project I worked on last year, has now long since been moved from my actual PC, to a backup external hard-drive.
The problem is... (And I know this was rather newbish of me). I had a TON (like 60 or so) of textures that were NOT inside the project folder whilst I was working on it.

I know the theory of CGI projects is similar to web design.... I.e keep all your files together in ONE project folder. However, for dumb reasons, I did not.

So now, 1+ year later, I have need to return to this project, and because it has been moved from my desktop to a new location (backup drive) it is no longer finding the textures..... I.e I hit render and I'm hit with a 'Texture Error' box followed by a list of 60+ missing textures.

I HAVE found all the missing textures however.... I was hoping I'd be able to simply copy them into the 'tex' folder of my project, then re-open the file and it would automatically detect them all.
It has not.... So my question... Is there a way to 'en masse' make Cinema 4D realise 'aaah, all these textures are NOW in the tex file!'.

The only other option is to manually sift through and texture by texture, point Cinema 4D to the new location.... Which considering there are 60+ textures, intermingled with other textures that work just fine, would be a real ball ache....

I know After Effects can do this.... I.e if it can no longer find the directory of multiple files, all you have to do is manually re-direct it to ONE, and if all other missing files are in the same location, it will automatically bring them all in too.

05 May 2013
You can try pointing C4D to the old directory where you have the original textures.
Edit->Preferences->Files->Texture Paths, then reboot.

Been there so* many times myself I started to save all my files as "Safe Project" instead of just safe.

05 May 2013
have you tried save with assets ? not sure what it does when it cannot find the
texture paths in your old file, but theoretically it should modify the materials in the way you
need them.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Rikof: You can try pointing C4D to the old directory where you have the original textures.
Edit->Preferences->Files->Texture Paths, then reboot.

Been there so* many times myself I started to save all my files as "Safe Project" instead of just safe.

this will only help if the texture paths in his material are relative, but his description sounds pretty much like he created absolute paths for his old file.

05 May 2013
Aha! Saving with assets sorted it!

Thanks guys

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread