Future of forward/inverse kinematics?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 10 October 2011   #196
Quote: This is very impressive, I would like to hear the animators opinion on it...can u post simple character rig for that ?

I'm working with some animators now who are testing it out. I'll be sure to post updates while I get this out of prototype phase into a fully working rig with enhanced Ik setup. Once that's complete I will probably upload it somewhere for more testing. Right now though I trying to use all these crazy rigging mechanisms to getting some studio work for awhile.

Also thanks!!! anything you think it needs? I have a months worth of freetime on my hand to rebuild my reel so now is the time.

Old 10 October 2011   #197
Great, the question is? Can this solution compete the fk-ik classic rig? Can it be developed to have the best of fullbody-ik and stay friendy ?

Old 10 October 2011   #198
I think so, the other method I developed worked well in production and I did not understand it as I do now. If you are unfamiliar with "Enhanced IK" I just posted three videos since the ones on DT don't really give people a chance to see the level of movement that is derived from a couple of controls. Tying these two methods together I think I can have a rig that's more intuitive then the standard. Hopefully it will make teaching and doing animation that much easier without the need for extensive scripts or plugins. I included the demo videos below.

I've been using this method for awhile and I'm starting to see fullbody Ik and it becoming very similar. I think since people will know how it's built it will be friendlier. here are the links to the Enhanced IK system below.

enhanced Ik intro

quick addendum video Enhanced IK 2

Enhaced Ik on a quadruped

Old 01 January 2012   #199
It is good method in Mirai, but in case of Maya I would like to see IK methods(solvers, especially ikSpringSolver) work properly rather then new features there ... When all things work as suppose to do many, really many issues will dissappear. Especially ikSpringSolver as mentioned above. Pole vector doesn't behave properly and scaling of joints aswell. I know I am off toppic little bit but I have to mention this thing here. We submitted the bug with scaling of bones already with no result. Now we prepare to do it again with very clear sample scene(simple leg setup with global scale transformation node with ability to stretch IK leg setup) with comparioson between RP solver(it works well) and ikSpring one ... and at the end: if I am not wrong thanks to Maya's prehistoric DAG architecture it is very complicated to implement features like bidirectional constraints, etc. ...

Old 03 March 2012   #200
NO POP KNEES!! (with no stretching)

This is a little something I've been working on... actually figuring out how to make it work efficiently with squash and stretch was the problem. In the link below it shows the first stage of my new leg rigging technique. The knee doesn't pop and the leg doesn't need to stretch to make the calculations correct.

No pop knee explanation video

I am thinking about making a public release of a final rig so please leave me a comment if you have questions and like it if you think its a good idea.

Old 01 January 2013   #201
Count me in!

Yeah!

That is looking promising. I am planning to go through your rigging tutorial at DT, (it is on my list of tuts to do) and I suspect you have not stopped improving on those ideas.

So I'd definitely be interesting in a rig if you were to make it public.

Old 09 September 2014   #202
Originally Posted by FarleyC: This is a little something I've been working on... actually figuring out how to make it work efficiently with squash and stretch was the problem. In the link below it shows the first stage of my new leg rigging technique. The knee doesn't pop and the leg doesn't need to stretch to make the calculations correct.

No pop knee explanation video

I am thinking about making a public release of a final rig so please leave me a comment if you have questions and like it if you think its a good idea.

He seems to have dropped off the Internet (did he get hit by a bus?) and I can't find any sign of this stuff, except as a long DT series. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, especially without being able to try it out first. I wonder if the actual rig is in the DT project files, or if it's just a template. Good project files should have complete data at every major step, I don't want to pay for an account upgrade just to find out it's just a step 1 skeleton...

My first impression looking at this is that it looks like it makes initial poses easier to make, but adjusting poses seems harder, if moving one leg causes the hip and other leg to move. You don't want your character adjusting his center of gravity when you're making adjustments. Seems like it would want pinning, like HIK.

reply share thread